Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hbuff716 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2012, 09:02 AM
    Mixing wire gauges
    I'm wiring 2 spare rooms in my attic and I have some short 12/2 cables lying around and I'm wondering if I could run a 14/2 on a 15 amp breaker from my panel & use the left over 12/2 cable to connect the receptacles. Will this be illegal? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 7, 2012, 09:28 AM
    With a 15 amp breaker you should use 14 gauge wire OR LARGER. You should be fine using your left over 12/2

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mixing gauges and/or lengths of extension cords [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 12 amp electric lawn mower, I have used a 25' 14ga extension cord which worked well. My question is can I plug two 25' 14ga extension cords together to equal 50'? Or would it be better to use 12ga. Extension cords. Can I mix gauges, say a 25' 14 ga. Plugged into a 12ga 50' cord to...

Mixing electrical wire gauges [ 5 Answers ]

I currently have a Forced-Air boiler as my 2nd zone in my attic. I believe there is a 12-2 that feeds the boiler, an outlet and 1 switch for a light bulb. I wanted to add extra lighting with 2 shop lights I had purchased since its rather dark with just the one bulb. Would I have to continue...

Mixing Wire Gauges [ 13 Answers ]

Hello, I have a microwave oven which I am going to need to hardwire. The circuit (dedicated) is 12 awg and the breaker is 20amp. The power cord of the oven is 14 awg and the output is 1.58KW (13A, yes?). Will I be allowed to connect the power cord of the oven to the 12 gauge wire? Thank you

Mixing old and new wire [ 8 Answers ]

Live in a circa 1940's home with old non-grounded NM cable, cloth outer shell, insulated wires. There are currently 14 outlets on 1 circuit, in addition to 5 ceiling lights. Obviously the circuit is overloaded. I'm planning on running 3 new circuits (living room, bedroom, dining room are...

Mixing gauges - variation on a theme [ 3 Answers ]

I've seen similar posts, but not similar enough to make me feel 100% sure so here we go... Once upon a time there was a hot tub on the back patio of my house. The wire appears to be 4 gauge wire and there is a junction box already installed on the back wall. The tub is gone now, and I'm...

View more questions Search