Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Peighton Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 05:01 AM
    Moving laundry room
    I need to move my washer/dryer to a utility room. One wall in the room backs up to a bathroom, with tub/shower/toilet. A local contractor wants an outrageous fee because I'm on a slab and he says he must bust up concrete and remove a toilet to install the washer's drain, joining it to the toilet's drain. I thought there was a tub dap out thingy they could bust into, therefore, eliminating the need to remove the toilet. Can't they just bust in, add a "T" to the drain, and hook it up like that? There must be a simpler way (and less expensive) than busting up $5,000 worth of concrete... there's just one wall separating the two rooms.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 1, 2007, 05:37 AM
    Is the tub, toilet, then vanity along a common wall? (In that order?) If so, then tapping into the vanity drain may be a possible compromise if the drain is a 2" diameter waste pipe. The tub solution is a tough one because it is buried deeper for the p-trap under it and would take slab sawing and a j-hammer. The drain section is below slab whereas the vanity lav drain is above slab access but is only a 1 1/2" pipe. Depending on what type of cl washer, it may be able to carry the drain capacity, if it's a small output. The code for a washer drain is 2" and at least 40" above the slab. If the lav is on the same wall, it is a better choice but not UPC compliant in most building jurisdiction areas.

Mar 1, 2007, 07:30 AM
    There's no vanity on that wall; just a shower/tub and toilet.

Mar 1, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Peighton
    Looks like that is a concrete removal job then. Get three bids at least.

Mar 2, 2007, 02:01 PM
    I understand they must dig up some concrete; I just think their price for doing so is exhorbitant, as we're only going through one wall and they want $5,000. I was hoping we could tie into the drain line without having to take up the toilet. I just don't understand what part of this job is worth $5,000. All I want them to do is connect the water lines.

Mar 2, 2007, 02:39 PM
    I understand they must dig up some concrete; I just think their price for doing so is exhorbitant, as we're only going through one wall and they want $5,000. I was hoping we could tie into the drain line without having to take up the toilet. I just don't understand what part of this job is worth $5,000. All I want them to do is connect the water lines.
    You can do this yourself. You will need to rent a concrete cutting saw and jack-hammer with compressor. An electrical type may work if you have the time it takes to knock out the floor. You will need to take up the existing wall to get at the original drain section with some digging down to it. You didn't mention if the main drain is plastic or cast iron. That will make a big difference in cost also. Cutting into derm fittings is no easy job and takes special tools and parts. In addition, the drain system will need a new vent stack to tie into an existing one that goes up to the roof. You can do that also, all it takes is going down to the plumbing house, show them what you have and they will like to sell you materials, hence some information from them will help. Give it a try.
    The last slab remod I ran for installing new drain, copper pipes, shower, and washer dryer came to about $3.5k and the owner did all the work except I did the framing and
    Installed the plumbing and electrical. (you'll need to put in 240Vac 30amp for dryer, and 120v 20amp for the washer power circuits.)

Mar 2, 2007, 02:54 PM
    If you live out in the country, there is another option that will not cost as much. If you live in the city, then you are probably locked into digging down to the sewer line and there is the costly rub.

You could fir out a false wall and run the drain horizontally out to the outside to water the flowers in your country house and if you have another drain system coming from the upstairs level, you could tap into that drain and the accompanying vent and possibly make that work. Is there another separate drain waste (2") coming from upstairs that connects to the main drain system in the slab or is this a single floor dwelling?

Mar 3, 2007, 07:44 AM
    I'm in a city and do not have a 2nd floor.

I appreciate the suggestions, NM. I didn't even think about the need for an air vent to be added. Do I need one if we tie this in to the toilet's drain? Doesn't it already have a vent? So, this mean there also has to be a additional whole cut in my roof?

Mar 3, 2007, 11:27 AM
    I'm in a city and do not have a 2nd floor.

I appreciate the suggestions, NM. I didn't even think about the need for an air vent to be added. Do I need one if we tie this in to the toilet's drain? Doesn't it already have a vent? So, this mean there also has to be a additional whole cut in my roof?
    An additional vent stack is needed for the washer, but it can tie into the existing vent stack coming up from the toilet and tub that are combined into one 2" pipe.
    Need more data.
    1. Year house built. 2. Type of piping for waste drain vent....ABS black plastic or Cast iron. 3.Type of water supply pipe....Galvanized iron or copper, or plastic. 4. Number of vent stack pipes going up to roof. 5. Size of those pipes....1 1/2," 2", 3" 6. Stud frame size of wall... 2x4, 2x6 7. Length of wall.
    Can you also PM me an attached sketch of the floor plan and where the appliances and bathroom fixtures are located along the wall with where the pipes are? NM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Smell in Laundry Room [ 13 Answers ]

We are getting a sewer gas smell when we do laundry! This started as just the odd time and then became almost every time we did laundry. We have a brand New Kenmore front load washer and front load dryer(both electric as we have no natural gas in our house) - but the smell had happened before these...

Moving the laundry room to the basement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi kids, I need to remodel my kitchen and the first thing to do is to move the washer and dryer out of its current location and into the partially finished basement. My main concern is the gray water coming out of the washer. Since it is located below the current drain how does the dirty water from...

Drain in laundry room? [ 1 Answers ]

We are moving the laundry room -- do we need a drain in the laundry room? Can you install a wood floor (pergo) in a laundry room? Can tile still get ruined by water? Thanks for you help.

Converting old kitchen to laundry room [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, My friend and I are converting an old apartment kitchen into a laundry room. What we have to work with is the following (surveying the wall from left to right): a gas stub-out (we'll worry about the dryer later); a few feet to the right there are the bodies of two gate (or globe?) valves...

Moving Laundry room and adding bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to move my laundry room to an adjacent room and combine it with a (new)full bath. The current laundry plumbing and waste is on an outide wall and the room has a floor drain in center about 6' in. The kitchen plumbing and waste is 10' away on the same outside wall. The waste line...

View more questions Search