Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pware724 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 08:33 AM
    Installing a ceiling fan with light and remote on 3 wall switches
    Hi,
    My name is Pamela and I'm new to this site. I've been putting up ceiling fan for myself for about 4 years and I'm stumble on this particular project. Was hoping for some guidance to eliminate my frustration. Thanks in advance.

Wiring a ceiling fan with remote, light and 3 wall switches. I've installed the ceiling fan and it doesn't work at all, not even the light fixture. I've checked to see if there any juice and there is. My ceiling box has 3 wires copper(ground) white and black. I followed the instructions on the manual using the receiver black and white wires with the black and white from the ceiling box and also using the white, black and blue from the other side of the receiver with the fan. I have connected all the green/copper wires together, yet I cannot get it to work. I have checked my wall switches thinking the main one (the controller) was off. Please help me I'm at a lost.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 09:13 AM
    Something is out of whack if you have only a black/white/copper and 3 switches. 3 ways need a travelker wire, usually a red wire. Have you tested across the black and white for 120?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 11:12 AM
    By 3 switches do you mean three switches side by side or do you mean three switches at different location around the room?

I've checked to see if there any juice and there is
    Tell us how you did that. Did you change any switch settings after you did that check?
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jun 19, 2012, 02:28 PM
    People have to remember that remote's for ceiling fans only work when there is constant power to the receivers in the fans. When fans have more then one switch controlling it any time the switch is used to turn the fan off instead of turning the fan off with the remote, the power needs to be turned back on and then the remote needs to be used to turn the fan on.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 02:29 PM
    We are waiting to hear more from the OP. No mention of a traveler wire some we are still not clear what was meant with 3 switches, could be all in one box or a bunch of 3 ways.

Jun 19, 2012, 03:25 PM
    I mean three different locations.
    This is a new home (3 years old) the electrician (contractor) did the wiring and I'm most upset. I don't know how he did it without the red wire. I haven't touch any of the wall switches

Jun 19, 2012, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jerro View Post
    People have to remember that remote's for ceiling fans only work when their is constant power to the receivers in the fans. When fans have more then one switch controlling it any time the switch is used to turn the fan off instead of turning the fan off with the remote, the power needs to be turned back on and then the remote needs to be used to turn the fan on.
    I've tried turning the fixture and fan on by using the remote. Out of the 3 wall switches that controls this fixture which one is the main one that's will control this unit? I switch each one on, one by one well using the remote to check if that particular switch was the main switch.

Jun 19, 2012, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pware724 View Post
    I've tried turning the fixture and fan on by using the remote. Out of the 3 wall switches that controls this fixture which one is the main one that's will control this unit? I switch each one on, one by one while using the remote to check if that particular switch was the main switch.
    Also it is a 120 line.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2012, 04:13 PM
    Sounds like you need to eleminate the 2 3 ways and the 4 way, and wire for constant power, then buy 3 remotes for the 3 locations.

Be sure the codes match on all transmitters and the fan receiver.
    If codes don't match, remotes won't work.
    Verify power to black and white going into receiver when using remotes.

Jun 19, 2012, 04:34 PM
    To be honest I really don't use or need one of the switches. So, are telling me to replace 1 or more of the wall switches with a dummy switch? Also please explain more about why I would need more remotes.

The codes on the receiver and transmitter are in sync.
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2012, 06:57 PM
    If you removed the 3 switches, and wirenutted the 3 wires together at the two end switches, and wire the 4 wires together at the 4 way switch, it would provide constant power to the receiver. Is the Transmitter Wireless(handheld), or electrically connected?
    As far as the red wire, it was probably an extra wire from that switchbox to the fan for separate fan and light switches or controls.
    Once you get it going, you need to disconnect 1 of the travellers, that go through all 3 switches, no hazzard, code says you can't parallel unless under 50 volts or larger than 1/0 wire?
    Can walk you through if you get this far, which I believe you wlll.

Jun 20, 2012, 05:59 AM
    I Do Not have a Red wire in the ceiling at all. I would like to keep (2) of the switches because they are location opposite end of the kitchen (just in case I decide to go back to a regular fixture). I understand that once my fan is up and running that the power on the wall switches needs to be on 24/7 and it will be the remote that will control all the settings to the fan and light. I will have two remotes because the company thinks it's the remote/transmitter that's causing the problem (in which I do not, in any regards they're sending me another set just in case). They claimed the transmitter/remote works on 3 and 4 ways lighting. My transmitter is wireless/handheld. My fan is Avian Harbor Breeze that's designed without pull chains to control the unit. So the remote control is essential.
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2012, 06:37 AM
    Forget the red then, it may have been for half of an outlet switched.
    Codes Match?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 09:07 AM
    Earlier you stated that you verified that you have power at the ceiling. You have not told us how you determined that.

Please do.

There is no on or off setting to 3-way and 4-way switches. What is on and what is off depends on the combination of switch settings. There is no reason to disable the switches unless you think you will forget and turn one off therefore disrupting power to the remote and causing it to loose its settings (or you think someone else might do that). The switches can easily be disabled (without removal) if you would like. There are severial ways a set of 3-way switches can be wired so we would have have a description of the wires in the 3-way switch boxes to tell you how.
    The 4-way switch will be between the two 3-way switches electrically and usually have a little stiffer feel to turning on and off than the 3-ways.
    The 3-way switches will have 3 terminal screws plus the ground screw (green). The 4-way will have 4 terminal screws plus the ground screw (green).

So tell us how you determined that you have power at the ceiling. We need to know that so we can eliminate the possibility of a faulty neutral. Also tell us whether the fan can be connected without the remote receiver.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing wall remote for ceiling fan with single switch [ 0 Answers ]

I'm trying to replace wall switch with a wall remote for a ceiling fan. Inside wall switch there's a black and red wire connected to switch. With a second red wire capped off. I was told that is for the ceiling. But I want to eliminate the wall switch. What do I do ? I installed the same fan in...

Wiring 3 wall switches in separate locations for one ceiling fan/light [ 1 Answers ]

How would I wire wall switches in 3 separate locations to control power to the celing fan/light combination? I would like to still be able to use the pull cords to activate each separately if I need to, but would like to be able to turn the lights on when I come in the room (at 3 different room...

Wiring a ceiling fan with light, remote and 2 wall switches [ 1 Answers ]

My new Harbor Breeze Avian comes with a remote, ceiling fan and light. My previous ceiling fan worked off two switches, one for the light and one for the fan. To get it to work, we wired black to black, white to white and red to blue. But now it only works off the 2 switches and the remote does not...

Installing wall remote for ceiling fan into wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

I've had no luck with getting the wall remote on my Hampton Bay ceiling fan to work. I was able to get the fan to work with the wall switch, but once I change out the switch with the wall remote it doesn't work. The l.e.d. on the wall remote is not even lighting. There are 6 switches on the...

Installing Wall-Mounted Remote Control - Ceiling Fan [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everybody: I am new to this board and hope there is somebody around this Memorial Day Weekend who can help. I just bought a Modern Fan Company Aurora Hugger ceiling fan and am trying to install it. This fan has no pull cords and operates on a remote that is tucked into the fan housing....

View more questions Search