Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    groomoid Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2012, 03:43 AM
    Electronic ballast in mirror light
    I have a mirror light with two T8 flourescant tubes. It is a hit and miss affair as to whether the lights come on when switched on. Sometimes they come on and other times I can turn the switch on and off for about 1 minute and they stay off. Sometimes removing a bulb and turning it upside down will get the lights on but they don't light again after turning it off.I know that 240v is getting to the ballast but don't know how to measure what is coming from the ballast to the bulbs. They are two 15w bulbs. Can I use a new ballast that is rated at 2 x 18w as I can't find 15w ballasts on the internet? Thanks Rich.

Jun 17, 2012, 03:45 AM
    Forgot to add to above that I have replaced with bulbs with new ones.
    Rich.
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jun 17, 2012, 04:55 AM
    Why do you have 240volts going to the mirror light? Is the ballast rated for 240volt power?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2012, 05:34 AM
    How do you know you have 240 Volts to the Ballast, Where do you live?

Jun 17, 2012, 05:38 AM
    Sorry. This is in the UK. 240v mains supply. Ballast is rated for 240v incoming.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2012, 06:12 AM
    Is the fixture earthed well? Fluorescent ballasts need a good earth conductor to operate properly.You may notice the fixture works well on damp days, and not on dry days.

Jun 17, 2012, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Is the fixture earthed well? Fluorescent ballasts need a good earth conductor to operate properly.You may notice the fixture works well on damp days, and not on dry days.
    Its earthed well. I think the cheap Chinese ballast is faulty. Do you know if a 2 x 18w one will be an acceptable replacement for the 2 x 15w one I have ay the moment... as long as all other specs are within parameters?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2012, 08:58 AM
    If its Earthed well, and voltage is good, I always start with bulbs, as you have that, that leaves the sockets or the Ballast, The newer balast seem to work better that the ones in the past.
    Sometimes the Ballast is more Expensive than the whole fixture,

Jun 17, 2012, 09:09 AM
    Have seen ballasts for around the £20 price but need to know if twin 18w ones will be okay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hook up ballast to light [ 1 Answers ]

T-8 GE 259 Max-n/ultra Balast with 2 blue and 1 red wire hook up to light with Yellow, Black, White, and green wires.

Light fixture flickering even new bulb. Ballast problem? [ 1 Answers ]

My round fluorescent kitchen light started flickering and I though it was the bulbs. After going to the store I replaced the 12" bulb but they were out of the 8" bulb. Turn it back on and both bulbs are flickering. I'm thinking it's a ballast problem, right? I've never repaired anything...

Occupancy sensor, fluorescent light, electronic ballast, and relay [ 13 Answers ]

Hi! I'm at my whits end with this one so here goes... I'm currently installing recessed fluorescent T8 2-lamp fixtures in my garage, one of which I want to have powered by a Leviton PR180 occupancy sensor. After my initial installation attempt, the fixture flickered and it was then that I...

Tests on electronic ballast [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know what would be the voltage across fluorscent lamp ignited with electronic ballast?

Electronic ballast [ 1 Answers ]

How do I test an electronic ballast

View more questions Search