Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suffer78 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2012, 11:19 AM
    Older 3 way switches wired incorrectly?
    Here's my issue. We're remodeling and in the process most outlets and switches have been replaced, all fairly standard and has been a breeze till I got to the 3 way switches.

I pulled the switches off both sides of my 3 way.

Inside I found:

2 black wires (one going to common if I recall correctly), 1 white wire going to switch.
    2 ground wires were connected to the remaining white wire and wound up nicely in the back of the box. (I don't understand the unconnected grounds and have been connecting them all in the 2 way switches, house was build mid 1980's)

After some research that screams "you need 14-3 wires" I can't figure out how to get it working correctly.

What's the best way to remedy this.

Thanks
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

May 18, 2012, 07:31 PM
    [The big problem is the ground wires should not be connect to the white wire. Apparently whoever ran the wires for 3 way switching used 2 14/2 wires instead of the 14/3 that you mentioned. He must have used a black and white as runners to the other 3 way switch, a black for hot power to the switch and the grounds and the other white as the neutral. This is only speculation without actually looking at the wiring.QUOTE=suffer78;3121367]Here's my issue. We're remodeling and in the process most outlets and switches have been replaced, all fairly standard and has been a breeze till I got to the 3 way switches.

I pulled the switches off both sides of my 3 way.

Inside I found:

2 black wires (one going to common if I recall correctly), 1 white wire going to switch.
    2 ground wires were connected to the remaining white wire and wound up nicely in the back of the box. (I don't understand the unconnected grounds and have been connecting them all in the 2 way switches, house was build mid 1980's)

After some research that screams "you need 14-3 wires" I can't figure out how to get it working correctly.

What's the best way to remedy this.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 19, 2012, 04:10 AM
    Since your remodeling, re-wire these switches properly with 3 wire plus ground cable.
    suffer78 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2012, 06:32 AM
    Thanks, so I'm thinking I should replace the white/black pair with the appropriate 14-3 wire, discontinue using those original wires. Pull the white off the grounds and connect it to the white on the new 14-3 wire... Of course doing this on both sides.
    I'm going to the attic and hopefully fishing this new wire won't be too complicated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to fix incorrectly wired bathroom fan and light [ 7 Answers ]

The house I recently bought has two switches in the bathroom. There are vanity lights, a main light, and a fan. The switches are wired incorrect to where you cannot just turn on the vanity light. You have to turn on the switch that cuts on both the main light and the fan, only then will the other...

How do I replace 3-wired porcelain light fixture with 2-wired light? [ 0 Answers ]

I have two porcelain closet type light fixtures in upstairs dormers connected to one switch. I want to replace one fixture with a foyer style light that has black and white wires. Current porcelain fixture has two brass and two silver screws. Three cables come into box, two 14/2 & one 14/3. All 3...

How to wired a ceiling fan with 2 3 way switches 1 for the fan and 1 for the light? [ 1 Answers ]

How to wired a ceiling fan with 2 3 way switches 1 for the fan and 1 for the light? I have a 14/3wire to fan box to a 2 gang box at 1 door and a 2 gang box at the other door with 2 14/3 from door to door

2 ceiling fans in one room with 2 light switches not wired correctly [ 4 Answers ]

I have a room with 2 ceiling fans. I have a light switch with 2 switches. Each switch turned on a light on a ceiling fan. The fans worked by using a pull chain on the fan. I decided to install 2 new fans. The new ceiling fans had a white, black, green and blue wire. Ceiling fan fixture one...

Are bath fan/light units wired to 2 switches? [ 3 Answers ]

In finishing my basement I'm adding a bathroom that will have wall mounted lights over the vanity/lav and a fan/light combo fixture closer to the shower. Is it common to wire the lights on both fixtures to one switch and the fan to another even though the fan/light combo is one unit? In other...

View more questions Search