Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jadenat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2012, 10:43 PM
    Wiring a A/C condenser on the roof of a building.
    I am wiring a A/C condenser on the roof of a building. The unit pulls 18 amps max,at 220v. The unit is second hand and the wiring that is coming out of the conduit of the unit is 10 gage( I think) 2 hots and 1 ground.
    I have 220 running to it now . I have 2 hots 1 neutral and a ground. The wire that I have running to the unit is 12-3 ( I think my breaker is 30 or 40 amps).
    My questions are
    1. how do I go from 2 wire to 4 wire ( There is a service disconnect between the two different types of wire)
    2. is 12-3 big enough for the ampacity and heat rating of 18 amps?
    Thanks
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2012, 04:32 AM
    Jadenat,
    Please check the "nameplate" on the condensing unit...
    The FLA (full load amps) or MCA (minimum circuit ampacity) along
    With MOCP (maximum overcurrent protection) may be listed.
    Please write back and let us know what this says.

If the running amps are 18 at 220V, single phase, then #10 AWG protected by a 30 ampere circuit breaker or #8 AWG if the circuit breaker is 40 ampere. For a typical condensing unit only two "hot" wires and a ground a required without a neutral.

Is the condensing unit at least 10 feet from the roof edge?
    How are you running this cable? Romex is not listed for exposure to the weather. Usually PVC conduit with the final connection made with sealtite flexible conduit most common.

Can you tell us more?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am building a lanay roof, need some help. [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a lanay roof and will be using 2"x6" tongue and groove lumber, how far do I need to install the joists at center

My roof has a layer of ice building on the inside of the roof,I'm wondering why? [ 3 Answers ]

Weeks.would love to here if this has happin to anyone.. I am new to this fourm...

Building my own roof trusses for room addition. [ 2 Answers ]

What type of scissor roof truss construction would be best for a cathedral ceiling on a 4\12 pitch with a 22' span? Or would parallel scissor method be best for this pitch roof?

I am building a truss roof over a flat roof.the size is 9'wx9'd.where do I begin this [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a gable roof over a flat roof at our church.It is 9'wx9'l.How do I determine the height of the center rafter?

View more questions Search