Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jfc89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2012, 10:02 AM
    How to add light in my garage and an outlet
    I would like to add light in my garage and an outlet next to the light switch. Can I just wire from the existing light to the new one? And can I just wire from the switch to the outlet?

Thanks
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 23, 2012, 02:53 PM
    Can I just wire from the existing light to the new one?
    Yes, assuming you want both lights to be controlled by the same switch. Run a 2-wire cable from the existing light to the new location.

And can I just wire from the switch to the outlet?
    That depends on how things are presently wired. If power comes to the switch and then goes to the light, the answer is yes.

If power comes to the light fixture and a switch leg goes to the switch, the answer is no. When a switch leg is used, power goes to the switch on one wire and returns to the light on the other. Therefore, you have no neutral at the switch. In that case you will have to run a 2-wire cable from the light fixture to the location of the outlet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to add light switch [ 6 Answers ]

Hello All, I am having a bit of a dilemma with the most recent DIY project. I installed successfully a combo ceiling fan/light in the centre of my master bedroom. Problem is that it's way too dim now. The bulb is rated 25w or 1200 lumens - not enough to provide adequate lighting in my 624 sq....

Add additional insulation [ 3 Answers ]

My bedroom is in an A-frame with only 8" rafters. The slanted walls contains fiberglass insulation and is drywalled. The room gets cold. Can I simply apply 2x4s against the existing wall, put fiberglass or pink insulation board between the new studs and put drywall over it? Should I remove...

Adding an additional outlet [ 4 Answers ]

I removed the receptical I was going to get power from and found 2 cables entering the box. One was a 14-2 and the other was a 14-3. Both black wires were connected to the brass screws and both white wires were on the silver screws. The red wire was pushed into the hole in the back next to the hot...

How do I add light to an existing switch. [ 6 Answers ]

There is a light fixture at the bottom of my basement stairs with a light switch at the top of the stairs. I would like to add a fixture at the top of the stairs to light the stairs. Can I wire right into the switch to add the new fixture?

Adding GFI outlet to garage light switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have a switch that controls the outside garage light and would like to put an outlet next to it. The switch has a black wire and a wite one marked black. So do I just add the switch in to the hot (black) wre then make a "jumper" wire from the white side to the black hot side of the switch, and...

View more questions Search