Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sonorahi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2012, 09:26 AM
    Older 4 bulb fluorescent lighting fixtures
    I have 3 older (T12) Lithonia lighting fixtures that all behave the same way. When wired to the light circuit in each case the inner two bulbs light up the outer two bulbs do not. If just the inner two bulbs are wired to the circuit, they light as expected. If just the outer two bulbs are wired to the circuit, they do not light up. Is this a wiring problem, a specific ballast problem or are they just being pissy?
    Thanks
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2012, 09:38 AM
    You need to replace the tombstones... (the bulb sockets).. likely corrosion... they are cheap anyway.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2012, 09:57 AM
    Could be the ballast in each fixture for the outboard lamps are all defective.

Try one fixture and swap the known operating ballast for the inboard lamps to the outboard lamps.

This will test the ballast and the lampholders.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a three lamp ballast be run with only one fluorescent bulb? [ 1 Answers ]

We have a system of linear, fluorescent lights that use three bulb ballasts (we believe these are from the late 1970s). Three bulbs is way too bright for our needs, and I understand that we can't simply sub out the 15W bulbs because they must match the ballast. We have attempted to run the lights...

How to test a fluorescent bulb starter using a multimeter [ 1 Answers ]

How to test a fluorescent bulb starter using a multimeter

Fluorescent bulb life [ 10 Answers ]

I recently remodeled my basement into an office and I installed nine new fluorescent fixtures in the ceiling. They are your basic two bulb (@ 48 inches long) hanging shop lights. I purchased all new bulbs ( GE kitchen & bath F40T12). The package states that they should last 9 years (six hours per...

New Fluorescent Bulb (the small spiral twisting tube type) [ 3 Answers ]

After purchasing and then installing three (3) of those new fluorescent bulbs to replace some of my incandescent bulbs, I have some questions. 1. I hear a low volume “humming” in 2 of the 3 bulbs. One is louder than the other, but there is one as quiet as a sleeping baby. Is that noise...

Replacing Aquarium Fluorescent Bulb? [ 1 Answers ]

I know that over time the power spectrum of a fluorescent light changes. You start to lose the shorter wavelengths (UV, blue) as the phosphors wear out. I also know that plants need those shorter wavelengths to be happy in an aquarium. So, my question is, how often should I replace the...

View more questions Search