Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joeirna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2012, 02:02 PM
    Electrical conduit wire capacity
    Can I put 3#10 and 3#14 wires with a ground in a 3/4" conduit? The conduit is underground between two buildings, is this okay?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 21, 2012, 03:06 PM
    What kind of conduit?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2012, 03:36 AM
    And what type of insulation on the wires?

Apr 22, 2012, 05:04 AM
    And why so many conductors?
    Are you aware that you can only have one circuit maximum at a detached structure? After that you need a feeder and sub-panel.
    joeirna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2012, 06:09 AM
    Electrical conduit wire capacity
    I asked about the 3#10 and 3#14 wires in a 3/4" conduit. The details are as follows: the conduit is grey plastic pipe, the insulation is thwn on the wires, the #10 wires will feed a sub panel from a 30 amp breaker in the main panel, the sub panel will have its own grounding rod and separated ground from the neutral. The #14 wires are for an outside lighting fixture that will be controlled by 3way switches, one in the house and one in the garage. The pipe is about 35 feet long and is buried 4 feet deep in the ground. There will also be a bare copper ground wire along with the insulated conductors in the pipe. The question is, is this okay to do? Thanks for your time and expertise.

Apr 22, 2012, 06:17 AM
    3/4" is fine for this, although I would have gone to 1" myself.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2012, 06:22 AM
    I would use an insulated #10 for ground, stranded on all?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical conduit through eaves [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a couple motion sensor lights in a carport. The gable part of the roof's fascia crosses the same on the house. Since I already have a GFI protected 20A run in attic of house that only feeds 2 standard outlets can I just junction off this circuit and run conduit through wall,...

Running two wires through electrical conduit [ 4 Answers ]

I want to supply power to run some power tools and shop lights out in my detached garage which has no electricity at all right now. I want to run two separate circuits and I'm using a buried electrical conduit with the wires inside. Since it's two separate circuits do I need two conduits or can I...

Electrical conduit behind sheetrock [ 2 Answers ]

I work as a consultant to the NYC School Construction authority. We usually inspect low-voltage applications for temperature controls and the associated equipment. Typically, whenever we see a thermostat in the wall, it has a j-box and conduit running from the box to the drop ceiling, and the...

Electrical generation capacity [ 1 Answers ]

What is the total US fossil fuel based electric generation capacity?

Can you use Metal Conduit as ground to convert 2 wire to 3 wire? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to convert an old cinder block house from 2 wire outlets to 3 wire by adding a ground to all outlets. Since the entire house is cinder block, all the circuits from the basement breaker box are in flexible metal conduit and metal outlet boxes... Is it possible to use the metal conduit...

View more questions Search