Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aaron84848 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2012, 01:58 PM
    Troubleshooting neutral wiring
    One of my bed rooms and the adjacent bathroom suddenly lost power. I checked and found out that there is no “Neutral” coming into this area. I confirmed this by running a parallel wire from the Neutral connection at the Main Panel from the circuit breaker that supplies power to that room. When I connected this wire the power is back to the room. How can I locate the First junction box that distributes Neutral into the room?
    I opened several power outlets and power switches looking for loos connection, but everything looks OK.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2012, 06:08 PM
    You can use an extension cord for your neutral referance, and a hot reference.
    I would check all hot and neutral connection in the panel and on the breakers.
    With your neutral jumper and light/power is restored, then turn off breakers off 1 by 1 to identify the circuit. Then check and see what neutral leaves the panel with that circuits hot. Double check that neutral. If more than 1 circuit leaves with this circuit, identify all that do. Turn off those breaker(s) and see what is off and no power, should be in one of those boxes.
    When all lights and recepticles have been identified to be on that circuit, check last good, and first bad receptacle.
    Even though you haven't found it, it is still most likely in a box.
    aaron84848 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2012, 02:46 PM
    Stratmando, Thanks for the reply.
    I did find the bad neutral onnection. It was in the one of the power outlets in the room. Looks like this is the outlet that distributes the power and neutral to the entire room and the bathroom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shared neutral wiring diagram? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a correctly wired shared neutral situation where both 15 amp brkrs are feeding 2 lighting circuits--no recepticles. Each breaker is on the opposite pole. I want to move one of the lighting circuits to a generator transfer panel. As long as the breaker in the gen. Panel is on an opposite...

For light wiring sysytem sharing neutral? [ 2 Answers ]

How many home runs can share neutral

Subpanel Neutral Wiring [ 11 Answers ]

I just helped my son install a new Guardian generator that came with a subpanel containing an automatic transfer switch. I have a question about the neutral wires the panel came with. First let me describe the subpanel: The subpanel has a 70 amp automatic transfer switch, which is fed by...

What happen if you connect some grounds and neutral to the neutral bus bar and the do [ 1 Answers ]

The same conect some grounds and neutrals to the ground bus bar just using whichever bus bar is closest to the breaker so the wires don't have to travel all around the breaker box is that OK and safe to connect wires like that thank you

Dryer wiring 3 prong -- neutral wire? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi-- I am trying to wire what seems to be a 3-prong dryer into a 4-prong dryer receptacle. If I understand correctly, I need to disconnect the ground from the neutral on the back of the dryer, and hook them up separately to my 4-wire cord -- the ground wire is the added 4th wire. However,...

View more questions Search