Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JayThaker Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2011, 06:05 AM
    I have a similar problem. Main power is coming in at the ceiling fixture, not at one
    I have a similar problem. Main power is coming in at the ceiling fixture, not at one of the 3-way switches, and there are several black and white leads at the fixture junction box. All red leads are lumped with one wire nut. And whites and blacks were also lumped in a certain way. After replacing my old light with new one, I lost track of how it was wired when it was working.
    Is there a way to troubleshoot this situation? Presently, somehow I have been able to operate the light with a string-switch at the fixture.
    Any suggestions?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 20, 2011, 06:53 AM
    You didn't break all the wire nut connections, did you??

If so that make this MUCH harder than it has to be. You need to tell us every wire in each box and what they are connected to. You will also need a continuity tester to check where each cable goes.

Nov 20, 2011, 08:46 AM
    Yes, I am afraid, I did-all blacks, and found the main power black lead, connected it to my new light black lead. All white leads, I lumped them together, including the white lead from n my new light. THat way, my light works from the pull string, but none of the four switches are working.

Nov 20, 2011, 06:38 PM
    Just a note to anyone doing this in the future: DO NOT UNDO ALL THE SPLICES!!
    Just put the new light in the same way as the old one.

J

Nov 20, 2011, 06:40 PM
    I hate to say this after the fact, but WHY?? There was absolutely no reason to.

Just a note to anyone doing this in the future: DO NOT UNDO ALL THE SPLICES!!
    Just put the new light in the same way as the old one.

Jay, my best advice is, unless you can identify ALL the wires in each box you will have a hell of a time figuring this all out.
    My advice is bite the bullet and hire an electrician to figure it out. The money it cost is worth the lesson learned.

Nov 20, 2011, 07:34 PM
    Thank you. I have learnt my lesson, I will get an electrician to finish the job.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 21, 2011, 06:56 AM
    Describe the wires in the ceiling box? Tell us what kind, 2-wire or 3-wire, and how many of each.

How many switches? Pull each switch and describe how they are wired. Such as, at switch one the black is under the common screw, the red and white are under the traveler screws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light fixture shorted out, replaced fixture, now no power [ 4 Answers ]

In my bathroom, I have 1 grounded receptacle, & (1) 2 wire light switch that controls the 4 bulb light fixture. This is on a circuit with my upstairs lights & outlets, which all work with no problem. The bathroom receptacle has never worked, I replaced it after moving in house 10 years ago, & it...

Do you have to have the main power line coming into the meter in conduit? [ 2 Answers ]

Our main power line is installed without the wire being in conduit into the top of the meter. Than it comes out the bottom of the meter and is run into the side of the house to the basement... along the WALL in the basement and into the breaker box. Is this within national code?

Hunter fans troubleshooting power coming to the receiver, but no power coming out [ 1 Answers ]

I have a hunter ceiling fan with remote. There is power coming to the receiver, but no power going out

Ceiling Fan Light Fixture problem? [ 10 Answers ]

Well the fan / light combination is only just over a year old. It has a remote control for the three speeds of the fan and the light on / off. Basically the other morning when trying to turn on my light - it wasn't turning on. The bulbs had power to them as the filaments were barely lit up,...

Replacing Ceiling Fixture Problem [ 1 Answers ]

We are trying to replace two single light pendants with two double lighted ceiling fixtures. In the room there are three single pendant lights that are controlled with a single light switch. The problem we are having is that the new ceiling light fixtures have two sets of black/white/ground...

View more questions Search