Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pelle Posts: 96, Reputation: 0

Jan 30, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Number of outlets per braker
    Is there a rule of thumb as to the number of outlets on a 20 amp circuit. How about a 15 amp. I do understand that 20 amp will carry about 2400 watts and 15amp will carry about 1800 but all of the outlets will not be used at the same time. This is for a residential room expansion with limited space in the main panel.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 31, 2007, 08:51 AM
    Most rule of thumb are superseded by building codes. If you have a building department you should check with them first. They will also tell you if their code requires the outlets to be spaced at a certain interval.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2007, 09:37 AM
    You shouldn't exceed 80% of a circuits rating, 1440 watts for 15 amps, and 1920 for a 20 amp. You and add tandem breakers giving you 2 circuits in the space of one. The more copper, the better. You can find a link to the National Electric Code in the sticky at the top of the E&L forum, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...ons-48863.html Many of our DIY forums now have stickies allowing you to find answers to common questions without waiting for an answer.
    DIETGENT Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Jan 31, 2007, 11:49 PM
    Rule is 10 because some home owner is going to plug in one of those 6 pack outlets in every duplex to run all his crap no more than 10 and you won't have any problemos
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2007, 02:45 AM
    There is no maximum quantity of outlets for a residential general purpose lighting circuit according to the National Electric Code.

For all other than residential, the maximum is 8 outlets on a 15 amp circuit and 10 on a 20 amp circuit. This is widely used as a guide in residential,but is not mandatory and is flexible.

This is where common sense will come in, not to have too many outlets that will have appliances, computers, TV, etc. all on one circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New outlets [ 6 Answers ]

How many outlets per new circuit?

Too many outlets on a circuit? [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into our home 2 years ago(newly built) and the home had an unfinished basement(2 car garage and 2 unfinished rooms). The basement is currently on 1 circuit. Both rooms are now finished and each have 4 electrical outlets. The garage has 3 eletrical outlets, and there are also 2...

Basement outlets [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, I wanted to clarify something that was said in another thread but wasn't sure if I should add to that one or start a new one. I have heard that you should place GFI outlets in your basement. TkRussell stated that you do not need them ot is not code for fridges, freezers, washers, sump pumps. I...

Outlets not working [ 3 Answers ]

I posted a question a couple months ago about some outlets that aren't working in my house. I have done some further investigating and here is what I know as of now. The outlets that do not work are all on the same circuit - with the exception of one which is outside in the backyard. I have...

Outlets not working [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a new home and it seems that some of the outlets in our house have stopped working since we've moved in. They are just regular outlets in the living room and also the outside outlets are not working. Is this a problem for a licensed electrician or is there something I can do to fix...

View more questions Search