Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shanleyj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Shared neutral on 14/3 with tandem breaker
    Hey all! I am a new member and learning a lot from this great forum.

I have a question about shared neutrals, 14/3 wire, and tandem breakers. I have seen several posts about shared neutrals, and want to make sure my home wiring is safe.

My home is about 7 years old, and I have 8 circuits coming out of my panel on 4 runs of 14/3 wire. These circuits are feeding receptacles and lights throughout my house. When we moved into the house a few years ago, I added a few circuits in the garage and basement. With no other spaces in the panel, I took 4 breakers out that fed some of these 14/3 circuits, and replaced these 4 breakers with two tandem breakers. I guess through reading other posts, I am now feeding each 14/3 wire on the same phase through one tandem breaker.

Is this safe? If not, should I alternate the 14/3 wires so that each wire is on a separate tandem breaker so that the black and red hots of each 14/3 wire will be fed from different phases?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2007, 04:23 PM
    Yes, each of the two hot legs of a 3 wire circuit must be on separate legs of the panel. Both circuits cannot be connected to the same tandem breaker.

With both legs on one tandem breaker and phase, the neutral can be overloaded.
    shanleyj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Thank you for your help!

Joe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shared neutral [ 21 Answers ]

I have a 50 year old home. I am doing some remodeling and found that I have 2 separate circuits sharing the same neutral. I hadn't seen this before and I am worried about it. Is this in itself a problem? Also, the neutral is hot where I am remodeling but not at the breaker box. Do I have a...

Shared video memory [ 1 Answers ]

My laptop says that I have a ATI Radeon Xpress 200M Graphics 64 MB shared video memory. What does this mean and do? And what is better and best? Thanks

Tandem Breaker Allowed? [ 9 Answers ]

Is it okay to use a tandem breaker in this service panel? It is supplying a 100-amp apartment. 1-20 amp Bath 2-20 amp small appliance circuit 1 3-20 amp small appliance circuit 2 4-15 amp Lights/Receps 5-20 amp lights/receps Circuit 5 will be upgraded to an AFCI breaker if that matters.

Shared Driveway [ 3 Answers ]

We live in Maryland on a shared roadway/driveway--our house is at the very front of the property. There are 6 other residents on the road. We are having a disagreement regarding how the cost of repairing the road should be shared. Because we only have acess to 50% of the road, we think that we...

Shared Data T1 vs. Full T1 [ 7 Answers ]

What is the difference between a shared data T1 line and a full T1 line? I know that The shared data T1 is usually run to an MTU (multi-tenant unit) and split up into separate data networks for tenants that choose to use the Internet service. But isn't that the same thing as a full T1, can't you...

View more questions Search