Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tenpenny Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2011, 09:04 PM
    Can I Split a 40amp breaker need to 2- 20Amp breakers and still get my 208V?
    I need to install a new water heater - (Stiebel Eltron DHC 10-2 Electric Tankless Water Heater) for the use of a few commercial kitchen sinks. I am in an electrical supply of 208v 3phase panel. The required breaker according to the specs of this heater is 40amps and the breakers on this panel are bolt on breakers, unfortunately that breaker costs $60 at the local electrical supply (wow! ) I have plenty of open slots in the panel and currently have 2-20 amp breakers on hand. Can I run my 8-3 wire and instead of going to a 40Amp 2 pole breaker go to 2 - 20 amp single pole breakers? So my thoughts are to take the red and black to it's own single pole 20 Amp breaker - instead of taking the red and black to a 2 pole 40amp breaker. First- will this work? I do not want to tripping the breakers all the time, and second if it can be done is it OK by the code to do it? Thanks allot for your help!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 19, 2011, 02:30 AM
    If you connect a unit that needs a 40 amp breaker to a 20 amp breaker, the 20 amp breaker will trip. You need the bolt in 2 pole 40 amp breaker.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 19, 2011, 03:27 AM

Well, if $60 is considered expensive, then me telling you that you only option should be to call an electrician, since this is a commercial job, will not hold much water, will it?

BTW, how much was the water heater?

May 19, 2011, 10:27 AM
    Comment on tkrussell's post
    I guess a 40 amp breaker is the only option. Thank You again for your assistance.

May 19, 2011, 10:30 AM
    Comment on stanfortyman's post
    I know I am being petty on the $60 bucks- but I am on a shoe string budget and it all adds up. I paid an electrician to pull the permit and I am doing all the work. I was trying to save a buck. BTW the water heater was on sale only $150. So I am ahead on that price. Thanks for the comment!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 19, 2011, 04:31 PM

I would try something like this:
    40 AMP 240 VOLT SQUARE D BOLT ON BREAKER | eBay
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2011, 05:25 PM
    An electrician pulled the permit buy you are doing the work? Wow... that's wrong on a few levels. First of all you don't quite understand what you are doing. And secondly who gets the blame for a catastrophe?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 19, 2011, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
    An electrician pulled the permit buy you are doing the work? Wow...that's wrong on a few levels. First of all you don't quite understand what you are doing. And secondly who gets the blame for a catastrophe?
    All very valid points.

Over the years I have a few folks ask me to cover their work. Every one was a resounding NO.
    Any electrician who rents his license and insurance out like that is a FOOL. Especially if it is to someone who really does not know what they are doing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can 10/2 wire with 30 apm breaker be used for 40amp tankless water heater [ 3 Answers ]

Just got an electric tankless water heater. It's rated at 40 amps requiring 8 gauge wire. Can I use the existing 10/2 30amp circuit for this installation?

Can I replace a 20amp breaker with a 25amp breaker safely? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I safely replace a 20amp breaker with a 25amp breaker... application is a pool pump. The motor is drawing too much on the 20A line...

20amp Dp Breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I have a indoor whirl pool need, need 240v 20amp DP breaker to operate. If this tub is hard wired does it need to be on a GFCI?

20amp circuit in 3 wire kitchen split [ 6 Answers ]

I recently bought a house & I'm renovating the kitchen. I have 2 duplex receptacles within 1.5m of the sink. I need to make both of these outlets GFCI protected but they are both 3 wire kitchen splits. GFCI outlets do not exist for 3 wire split circuits. I have a 25 year old Commander BC...

15AMP Breaker used instead of 20AMP -ok? [ 4 Answers ]

We just had an electric gate installed that extends across our driveway. I noticed that the installer used a 15 amp breaker switch to connect to for power (the gate is the only device on this breaker). In looking at the manual last night the installation instructions call for a 20 AMP breaker (the...

View more questions Search