Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ross77 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2011, 07:36 AM
    14/3 ceiling fan w/1 switch end of run
    I have a switch box with power coming from an outlet. I had 14/2 running to a fan without a light. I replaced the fan with a new fan with a light kit. I replaced the 14/2 wire with 14/3 wire from fixture to switch box so I could control the light and fan from one switch. I cannot get the switch to power the fan or light. In the switch box I have white neutral to white from fan, hot black to switch black, black from fan to switch red and red from light to switch yellow and three ground wires together.

At the fixture I have black to black, white to white, red to red and ground to ground.

What am I doing wrong?
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

May 17, 2011, 09:16 AM

Have you used a volt meter to find where the power starts/stops?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 17, 2011, 11:27 AM

Ross,

Welcome. I need to get some information from you, please.

When you took down the original fan, were there six conductors in the ceiling.

(Black/White/Copper) for the supply to the fan?

There should also have been a black/white/copper from the fixture to the switch for the light.

Was that what you found?

1) Why and where did you run the three wire, the supply side or the switch side?

2) Are you planning to power both the fan and light package fro m the switch? Then you would have t use the pull chain on the fan to control the speed of the fan.

3) Normally, you leave the fan hot all the time and just use the pull chain to control the speed. Only the light would work off the switch.

4) Regardless of the way you want to set the switch up, you would only need a black/white and copper wire from the fixture to the switch.

You would only need a three wire Black/Red/White/Copper if you were to use two switches (one for the light and one for the fan)

Right now, it appears that you have not connected your switch loop properly.

May 17, 2011, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    Ross,

Welcome. I need to get some information from you, please.

When you took down the original fan, were there six conductors in the ceiling.

(Black/White/Copper) for the supply to the fan?

There should also have been a black/white/copper from the fixture to the switch for the light.

Was that what you found?

1) Why and where did you run the three wire, the supply side or the switch side?

2) Are you planning to power both the fan and light package fro m the switch? Then you would have t use the pull chain on the fan to control the speed of the fan.

3) Normally, you leave the fan hot all the time and just use the pull chain to control the speed. Only the light would work off of the switch.

4) Regardless of the way you want to set the switch up, you would only need a black/white and copper wire from the fixture to the switch.

You would only need a three wire Black/Red/White/Copper if you were to use two switches (one for the light and one for the fan)

Right now, it appears that you have not connected your switch loop properly.
    Thanks for your reply.

Previously the wire running from the fan to the old switch was a 14/2- Black, White, Ground. I replaced it with a 14/3 so I could run the fan/light with a new combo switch. The wire coming into the switch box from the outlet is a 14/2. The new switch has separate toggles for the light and the fan. It has 4 wires: black, red, yellow and green. The instructions for the switch say to connect the following: black switch to black hot, red switch to fan black, yellow switch to red from fixture, and green to green. Nothing works so which wire do I have to change?

May 17, 2011, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr1757 View Post
    Have you used a volt meter to find where the power starts/stops?
    I have not but the only wires coming into the box are from the fixture and from an outlet below the switch box. I went into the attic and replaced the 14/2 wire from the fan to the switch box with a 14/3. I replaced the switch with a combo light/fan switch to control both.

There is nothing else at the end of the circuit.

The old fan didn't have a light and was controlled by a single dial.

May 17, 2011, 01:09 PM

Okay,

You said your switch is being fed by an outlet below the switch outlet? Is that correct?

If it is, then you do not have a switch loop.

The Black/White/Ground from the receptacle provides power to the switch and the neutral for the fan.

We need to know where the feed for the switch goes.

What is the make and model of the multiple switch assembly you have or their website. If I can find it on the web they may have the specifications and installations instructions for me to read.

May 17, 2011, 03:04 PM
    Okay,

You said your switch is being fed by an outlet below the switch outlet? Is that correct?

If it is, then you do not have a switch loop.

The Black/White/Ground from the receptacle provides power to the switch and the neutral for the fan.

We need to know where the feed for the switch goes.

What is the make and model of the multiple switch assembly you have or their website. If I can find it on the web they may have the specifications and installations instructions for me to read.
    Yes switch is being fed by outlet below.

Here is the website for the switch:
    http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ry/033039c.pdf

Thanks for your help.

May 17, 2011, 07:43 PM

Ross,

Okay we got the idea now.

The black going to the switch from the receptacle will connect to the switch's black.

White from the receptacle will connect to the white on the 3 wire you just installed. At the fan, this white will connect to the white on the fan.

Red on the switch will connect the red on the three wire. The red will connect to the black wire on the fan. The fan's black conductor normally controls the fan.

The Yellow on the switch will connect to the Black in the 3 wire cable. At the fan, this black will connect to the Blue on the fan. Blue is normally used to control the light.

The bare grounds will connect together as always. At the switch, the green wire will connect to the bare copper wire.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 18, 2011, 03:38 AM

Does the outlet work at the present time?

May 18, 2011, 05:36 AM
    Ross,

Okay we got the idea now.

The black going to the switch from the receptacle will connect to the switch's black.

White from the receptacle will connect to the white on the 3 wire you just installed. At the fan, this white will connect to the white on the fan.

Red on the switch will connect the red on the three wire. The red will connect to the black wire on the fan. The fan's black conductor normally controls the fan.

The Yellow on the switch will connect to the Black in the 3 wire cable. At the fan, this black will connect to the Blue on the fan. Blue is normally used to control the light.

The bare grounds will connect together as always. At the switch, the green wire will connect to the bare copper wire.
    This is essentially how I have it hooked up now except the red and black are switched on the 3 wire. I'm wondering if this will change anything? Currently Red on the 3 wire connects to the blue on the fan and the yellow on the switch. The Black on the 3 wire connects to the black on the fan and the red on the switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Swapping Dual Light Switch for Dimmer/Three Position Switch for Ceiling Fan [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to swap out a dual switch for a switch that has a dimmer for the ceiling fan light and a three position switch to control the fan. The original wiring had white to white on switch, black to black on switch, and one black from light connected to the top switch pole and the other black...

Trying to wire ceiling fan switch and 2-3way light switches for ceiling lht/fan combo [ 5 Answers ]

I have 1 single pole switch for fan, and 2 three way switches to run light only. The power in is by the double box that will house the fan switch and the #1 light 3way. The other box houses the other three way switch. My fan switch is turning the light on and off, the three ways are doing nothing....

Wiring two recessed lights with an end run switch [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering how to wire two recessed can lights using a 20 amp breaker. I plan to run 12/2 wire(my power) to the first can then connect the second can then run 12/2 wire from the last can down to a single pole switch. Can I do all of this with 12/2 or do I need to use 12/3 between the cans....

Wiring a ceiling fan in middle of run, outlet at end of run [ 5 Answers ]

I am wiring a bedroom ceiling fan and just needed someone to help me figure out part of the wiring I'm not sure about. The goal is to have a 2 gang switch control the light and the fan separately. The switch is at the beginning of the run, then the ceiling fan, and then I also have an "always...

Pull power from end of run three way switch? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not an electrician, but have successfully installed and run wiring for non-complex ceiling fans, so I have some skills. Forgive me if I don't use some of the terms correctly. The current issue I have is related to a three way switch. That three way switch is part of an upstairs/downstairs...

View more questions Search