Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chevytrucks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2011, 05:33 PM
    How too add a extra 50 amps to my existing 200 amp service
    I have a 200 amp service in my house they recommend to add 50 amp more to be safe . Because I put a large addition on . I have 4.0 copper coming in to my box .from the weather head .
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2011, 06:28 PM
    Are you sure you have copper from the weatherhead? I haven't seen that for 40 +years. To get 250 Amps you will need to change the box as the main breaker is rated @200 Amps.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 06:49 PM

Hi,

Lets start with a definition from you please. Who is they?
    chevytrucks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2011, 06:54 PM
    Yes i am sure it has copper wire.. can i run a sub panel from the meater box for the extra 50 amps..
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 06:58 PM

Please do me a favor and do not use all caps if it can be avoided. Thanks.

In answer to your question, yes 50 amps can be pulled from the 200 amp panel to feed a subpanel.

My concern is that you have provided no information on the load to be serviced in this large addition. What is in this addition? Have you had an electrician do a calculated load for the entire residence yet?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2011, 06:07 AM
    The only method to "add a extra 50 amps to my existing 200 amp service" is to change the entire service entrance, to include the conduit, wiring, and metering to a 320 amp service entrance.

Done properly, but depending on several conditions, you may be able to leave the existing 200 amp panel and add a second 200 amp panel, or less, once the new 320 amp service entrance is installed.

You may, as Don mentions, add a 50 amp subpanel fed by a 50 amp branch circuit breaker into your existing 200 amp panelboard. This assumes your existing 200 amp service has the capacity for this added load. The new subpanel cannot be simply fed by your meter box.

Before this is done, a service rating local calculation must be done by a qualified electrician. Then the electrician must consult with the power utility to see if they can serve this added load.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Running 100 amp service panal 200 ft away from main 200 amp service [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking to find out how big the wire needs to be to carry the load. This will be a 100 amp service coming from a 200 amp main . It will need to travel 200 to 250 ft underground to a barn. If some one could help me that would be great thaxs)))

Hellow There! How to show a 400 amp service into two 200 amps panels/meters [ 1 Answers ]

I am adding a new electrical service to an existing one in the city of chicago. And was asked that I have to add a 400 amps with multiple meters, however I will need only 200 amps metered for my service. I need to show a one line diagram for the inpector. Any help!

How to add an extra column to an existing data model of oracle reports [ 0 Answers ]

I want to add an extra column to the existing report...

A 2 family house has existing 2 100amp panels. Can I upgrade the service to 2 200 amp [ 4 Answers ]

A 2 family house has 2 60amp panels and I want to upgrade to 2 200amp panels. Is this over doing it

Pulling 100 amps of main 200 amp service [ 9 Answers ]

I'm pulling 100 amps off my main house 200 amp service to my new Garage. It is an indoor run of 70 feet. What size wire do I need? Copper or Aluminum? How many conductors? If I run it in the joist space do I need to case it? Thanks Ron

View more questions Search