Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    todds Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2011, 10:00 AM
    50 amp line to garage
    I am enclosing a garage and have a 50 amp line ran into it with 12/2. How do I wire the outlets for the garage door opener and other outlets. I have it stubbed in by the side door where the light switch would go.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 4, 2011, 11:53 AM

"You begin by removing the 12/2 cable (max of 20 amps) and replace it with a #6/3 copper cable or a #4/3 aluminum cable."

If your garage is a separate building, you must:

A) have a four wire feed (2) Hots - (1) Neutral and (1) ground. From the Main Service Panel to the subpanel in the garage.

B) - You also must set up a grounding system usually with at least 1 ground rod.

C) - The Neutral and Ground conductors must be isolated from each other in the subpanel. DO NOT INSTALL THE EQUIPMENT BONDING JUMPER!

If the garage is attached to the main building, you do not have to a separate grounding system. You are allowed to use the grounding system established at the main service panel. You still do not install a main bonding jumper as Neutral and Ground must still be isolated at the subpanel.

Also, make sure you talk to your local authority having jurisdiction to get a permit to do the work.
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Jan 4, 2011, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by todds View Post
    I am enclosing a garage and have a 50 amp line ran into it with 12/2. <snip>
    Uhh.. you have a 20 amp line running to it. If it is a detached structure and/or you want more than one 120 volt circuit you are going to have to completely redo it. DonF has the basics spelled out above, but there is a good bit more you have to know to do it correctly. If you do it wrong (not following code, not getting it inspected) I have descriptive non-printable words for your type that seem to come out every time I have to fix one of these jobs. :eek:
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2011, 06:30 PM
    Methinks you scared todds off with a dose of reality.
    todds Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 07:07 PM
    Comment on Missouri Bound's post
    Thanks, I hired an electrician 3 days ago and had it re-wired.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overhead from a 100 amp service panel to a 100 amp subpanel in a garage. [ 6 Answers ]

An Electrician friend said I could use #4 copper for the (2)120 volt legs and a conventional Suspension wire as the nuetral. The overhead span is about 35 feet and the overall run From panel to panel is about 70 feet.The supply outlet said to use #2 copper. Also, what type wire for sunlight...

Garage wall on property line [ 5 Answers ]

******* next door refuses to let me waterproof paint my garage wall that was legally built with permits on the property line over 40 years ago. I never had leaking problems until he painted over my sealed wall with paint that attacts water that seaps through to the interior of the garage. What...

Running drain line from garage to house with height differnce. [ 3 Answers ]

I am running a return line from my garage to the house. I have two questions. My returns in the house is in the craw space under the house. I am running the line from the garage (50Ft ) to the house. There is an elevation difference of 3 feet to connnect to the house. Since I will be running this...

Can 20 amp line be run into a 100 amp breaker? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am doing a remodel and have a open 20 amp breaker in my existing service. Can I run a temp line from the 20 amp breaker to my new box (which is not yet hot) into the 100 amp breaker. Just need to get some temp power up in the new space. Thank you

View more questions Search