Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loupi01 Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2007, 11:38 PM
    Sconce light by bath tub
    I want to install a wall sconce light 5 feet above the bath tub rim. Will this meet code in California?

Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2007, 03:47 AM
    NEC does not allow any fixture , other than a recess or ceiling surface mounted light fixture, within eight foot of the top of the tub. I doubt that California has amended this, but best to check.

I certainly would not want to be standing in a tub of water with a wall mounted light fixture right next to me.
    loupi01 Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Home owner called the inspector and he said as long as the sconce is on a GFIC circuit. I'm sure this particular installation would vary from one inspector to another. I did not think code would allow a wall sconce next to a bathtub.

Thank you for your answer tkrussel.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2007, 08:41 AM
    I double checked with the 2005 edition, and noticed they added allowing wall sconces in the "restricted zone" in and above tubs and showers, and need to be rated for Damp Locations unless subjected to shower then need to be rated for Wet Locations, and only need to be GFI protected if recommended by the fixture manufacturer.

Go figure.

Call me old fashioned, but even if GFI protected, I would not feel comfortable with a wall fixture in a tub area. GFI devices can fail, and I don't want any of my customers to find out the hard way.

So looks like your friend is all set and can install his fixture on the wall over the tub.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bath tub valve [ 3 Answers ]

I have a "Symms" valve on my tub. The problem is that not enough cold water comes through. IF I adjust the valve for a cooler shower I end up with very low flow. I have 115 F water temp as hot water supply. Before I changed the valve I had good cold water flow now it seems I can only get hot...

Bath tub surround [ 2 Answers ]

I replaced the green board around my bath tub. Do I have to paint it before I install the tub surround

Hole in bath tub [ 1 Answers ]

I Have a small hole in the bottom of the bath tub just above the water drain is there some kind of putty I could use to repair this

Bath tub drain [ 5 Answers ]

When I let the water out of my tube I hear water draining I my sink down stairs I have a split level home bath tub is on the upper floor and the sink is on the lower floor below the main floor which is on the lower level what may cause this:mad:

Bath tub spigot [ 3 Answers ]

I have a bathtub where the spigot was installed with a down diverter (as for a shower, but we have no shower)... My wife accidentally pulled the down diverter down and now NO water flows. The handle and spigot are made by Delta. Also, the down diverter will not return to its UP position... How...

View more questions Search