Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brianac27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Size of 200 amp panel box
    Are there any smaller boxes for updating to 200 amp service than the 36" X 18" standrard box my electrician mentioned. This box would have to be installed in our master bedroom as we have no basement and the existing 100 amp box is in the closet, where he cannot legally install the new service. If I could find a box smaller than 24" high by 20" wide, it would fit nicely behind a framed picture. Thanks...
    Anthony_ Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2007, 10:02 AM
    There may be a smaller box available, maybe with less breaker spaces. Shop around a little bit.

Also is it possible to install the new panel outside? I would go outside if the old panel is near an outside wall or if the wires wouldn't be that hard to rework to that location.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2007, 05:48 AM
    Most panels for residential are 14" wide, to fit between standard stud centers of 16"OC, so not sure where your electrician is coming up with 18".

GE makes a 200 amp panel, with main breaker, and 42 circuits at 14" wide by 28-7/16" long. They also have a 32 circuit 24-11/16" long. I don't think you will be able to find anything smaller.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

200 amp panel feeding a 100 amp panel roughly 130' away [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, We are building a apartment above the garage,my question is what size wire do I need to run from the 200 amp panel to the 100 amp panel roughly 130' away? I want to use aluminum wire as I think copper would be to costly. Thanks for your help in advance, Dude :eek:

2 200 amp disconnects and a 200 amp meter [ 3 Answers ]

On a new house I have 2 200 amp panels on the inside. What will be the best way to hookup the 2 200 amp outside disconnects and meter to look decent for the house?:o

200 amp service with a 200 amp outdoor breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to wire a 200 amp outdoor breaker enclosure.I have 4/0 scu cable for my service head to the meter,and 4/0 scu from meter to breaker enclosure.Then from the breaker enclosure I have 4/0 ser cable to my panel.What is the proper wiring method in the enclosure,please help.

Wire Size For 200 Amp Service [ 2 Answers ]

Recently purchased new mobile home with a 200 amp breaker inside.the distance between the outside pole and inside breaker is about 70 feet.what size,or type,or gauge wire do i need to run. Lost in paradis... :) :confused:

How do I figure out what size wire to use on a 200 amp service. [ 2 Answers ]

My question is... how do I figure out what size wire to use when I know the Amperage of the electrical device. Is there some form of electrical calculation? For example I want to upgrade to a 200 amp panel from a 70 amp panel.

View more questions Search