Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tallguy Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Timer switch in triple gang box OK?
    Hi - I recently installed a timer switch for my front porch light. It seems to be working fine. However, after installing it I noticed the package said "for use in double gang box." I have it installed in a tripe gang box, along with a conventional light switch, and a three-way light switch. Is this something I really need to worry about?

Thanks much.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2007, 01:16 PM
    Probably not, but if you can provide the make and model I can check.

Jan 3, 2007, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Probably not, but if you can provide the make and model I can check.
    Thanks! It's an Intermatic 15 Amp, 120/240/277, 7-day Programmable Time Switch, model #SS8C.
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Sorry but can you tell me where in the instructions it states that "for use in double gang box." ?

http://www.intermatic.com/images/ins...158ss11366.pdf

Jan 3, 2007, 09:33 PM
    Hello again, and thank you for your continud help. I'm very sorry, but I gave you the wrong model number. It's actually the EJ500. The install manual is here:

http://www.intermatic.com/images/ins...158ej11853.pdf

On page 1 under "Important Notes" it says the switch is suitable for use in up to 2 gang installations. I believe it says the same on the package exterior.

Thanks very much.
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2007, 03:00 AM
    OK I see, what is the total load of each switch circuit in the 3 gang box? They are concerned with the load this timer can handle, and the heat it will create.

Jan 4, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    OK I see, what is the total load of each switch circuit in the 3 gang box? They are concerned with the load this timer can handle, and the heat it will create.
    The first switch is a three-way switch connected to an interior ceiling fixture containing a 75 watt bulb; the middle switch is connected to an external motion sensor light with 2 light bulbs (unsure of wattage, but I'm guessing 75-100 each); the third switch (the timer) is connected to the overhead porch light containing a 75 watt bulb.

Continued thanks...
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Even though you are not following the manufacturers instructions, I don't think there will be a problem. Best to monitor the heat that the timer may create, and if you ever move, remove the timer so there is no chance of someone else having a problem because they are not aware.

Really would be better to replace the timer with something that can be installed in a 3 gang switch box, and not violate the instructions, the risk is all yours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Congress a Gang? [ 1 Answers ]

"Is Congress a gang, and does it need to be abated?" And we not-so-assertively assert that "Sometimes Congress could be a gang, depending on the future use and misuse made of Senate bill 155 -- the Gang Abatement and Prevention Act." And so could your motorcycle club, your chess club, your rose...

SHirt Tales? Get Along Gang? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so I grew up in the 80's and there was this cartoon with many different animals that had shirts on, and they would say different words depending on their moods (I think) Was this show called "Shirt Tales" or the "Get Along Gang"? I think the Get Along Gang was a different cartoon with animals...

Wiring Timer Clock, Off /On switch to Pool Pump [ 3 Answers ]

I recently replaced an underground electrical line for my pool pump. Now I'm not certain of the hookup from the main power (220)to the timer clock (also 220)into the manual off/on switch mounted in it's own box on the back of the timer box, to the pump motor. Can anyone help me here. It's a single...

Magical Triple A Guy (How did he start my Honda Civic?) [ 4 Answers ]

Hopefully, this is not a redundant Honda Civic Question… A few days ago I went out to start my 2000 Honda Civic LX and it wouldn’t turn over. It had been parked for a day. I ended up calling triple A and the guy first checked my battery. It was rated marginal. He used his handheld jump, but...

View more questions Search