Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Robert Gift Posts: 100, Reputation: 3

Apr 29, 2010, 08:28 PM
    Tap 200F. Water dispenser for instant hot faucet water?
    Chinese wife wants sink-mounted hot water spigot "to make tea and ramen noodle", etc.
    Our kitchen faucet hot water is slow to arrive.
    Rather than buying a point-of-use under-sink water heater, can I tap into the 3/4 gallon 200 degree F. water line to also bring "instant" hot water to the sink faucet?
    I would provide a mixing valve to control (limit) the 200 F. water mixing with the faucet water.
    I presume the 3/4 gallon 200 F. mixing water would run out by the time the basement water heater water arrived.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Robert
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

Apr 30, 2010, 03:45 AM

Most of the little units you are talking about have there own faucets. That would be the way to go. Those faucets are quite small and usually only require one small hole to be drilled in your sink or countertop.

Apr 30, 2010, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CHayn View Post
    most of the little units you are talking about have there own faucets. that would be the way to go. those faucets are quite small and usually only require one small hole to be drilled in your sink or countertop.
    Yes
    Thanks.
    That is what my wife wants.

But I would like to pipe some of that 200 F. water into the kitchen sink hot water line to mix and make "instant" hot water at the faucet.

The hot water dispenser I saw is only 3/4 gallon. $250
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 30, 2010, 07:23 AM

can I tap into the 3/4 gallon 200 degree F. water line
    Tell me more about this 3/4 200 degree water line.
    Is that what your water heater's set at? Back to you, Tom

Apr 30, 2010, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Tell me more about this 3/4 200 degree water line. Is that what your water heater's set at? Back to you, Tom
    We don't have a hot water dispenser.
    If we get one, could I TEE off its 200 F. tube (1/4 inch?) up to its dispenser spigot and use that reservoir of super hot water to mix with the cold water in the hot water line from the basement water heater.
    To save fuel, our 50 gallon gas water heater is set only to 110 F.
    Widdershins Posts: 87, Reputation: 5

Apr 30, 2010, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gift View Post
    We don't have a hot water dispenser.
    If we get one, could I TEE off its 200 F. tube (1/4 inch?) up to its dispenser spigot and use that reservoir of super hot water to mix with the cold water in the hot water line from the basement water heater.
    To save fuel, our 50 gallon gas water heater is set only to 110 F.
    You would likely damage the tank if you connected the low pressure outlet of the tank to a higher pressure sink feed.

The inlet of a Insta-Hot tank has a flow restrictor to reduce the volume and pressure of the water entering the tank -- You will have a higher pressure force pushing against a lower pressure source. Can you guess which one will win?

Y'know, given the budget constraints you mentioned in a different thread, you would really be better off installing the Laing pump I recommended in that thread.

Obviously you like to tinker -- So find a way to bypass the timer on the pump and set it up to circulate only when you press a button -- You should be able to find someone in the Electrical forum who can walk you through setting up some kind of low voltage 'doorbell' system that will allow you to actuate the pump remotely from each 'wet' location.

And turn your H/W tank back up to 120-125 -- That 10 to 15 degree difference is saving you pennies, not dollars and is further aggravating the lag time in your H/W tanks ability to deliver in a timely fashion.

Apr 30, 2010, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Widdershins View Post
    You would likely damage the tank if you connected the low pressure outlet of the tank to a higher pressure sink feed. The inlet of a Insta-Hot tank has a flow restrictor to reduce the volume and pressure of the water entering the tank -- You will have a higher pressure force pushing against a lower pressure source. Can you guess which one will win? Y'know, given the budget constraints you mentioned in a different thread, you would really be better off installing the Laing pump I recommended in that thread. ...
    Thank you. Did not know thathe water dispenser tank is at lower pressure.
    That ruins everything unless I can create some kind of venturii to mix 200 F. water with cool basement water heater line water.

Before I buy a circulation pump, I would try the passive convective flow of hot water to the kitchen sink.

Having been in HAM radio, I can design a circuit to turn on the pump as needed. We get up at 0500 so the timer would work well for that. But our schedules are so irregular, no other timing would would work well. (I could tie it into the garage door opener and bathroom light switch! Use a motion detector for the bathroom lit by window light.)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 09:46 PM

I bought this system, but it's been sitting in a box for about a year. Basically mounting issues and I want it under the rafters rather than under the sink. Ports are in place. Did that when I replaced some valves even before I got the system.

Advanced Conservation Technologies: D'MAND Hot Water Systems

Ballengerb1 of AMHD likes it too.

Rather unique.

My plans initially are wireless control (Black & Decker) using a system I already have for a kitchen and bath location.

Later, I plan to integrate a motion sensor to an 8-channel alarm receiver. One channel will be a wireless doorbell. Yep, using security, supervised transmitters, for a doorbell.

That's in progress too. Got the 8 channel alarm module and started modifying an existing doorbell button to hold a different transmitter.

Anyway, the idea with this gizmo is that they sell a motion activated one, so for a bathroom it's perfect. Walk in. Motion det turns on pump. Pump turns off based on sensing the hot water at the cold water line. Use the facilities when that's going on and warm water should be available to wash the hands. Should also help in the shower. There is an temperature compensated auto-mixing valve there which already saves water.

Kitchen would be on demand. A wireless module that already controls an exterior light will have a channel dedicated to start the circulator pump.

There is a 1/2 bath that I don't care about. The washer and laundry sink are within 10' of the water heater.

Good news: I started selecting the mounting parts. They definitely don't make it easy.

Generally the system is installed at the LAST fixture in the house and pumps the water in the hot water line back into the tank through the cold water line until it's above a certain temperature on demand, thus there is little wasted energy.

You can easily "anticipate" water usage in a bathroom and push a button a few minutes before the intended use. Just how long it takes depends on pipe length and diameter, but shouldn't take over a few minutes.
    Widdershins Posts: 87, Reputation: 5

May 1, 2010, 04:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gift View Post
    But our schedules are so irregular, no other timing would would work well. (I could tie it into the garage door opener and bathroom light switch! Use a motion detector for the bathroom lit by window light.)
    I've installed quite a few of the D'Mand pumps recently and most of the customers have opted for the 'doorbell' means of actuating the pump.

The systems I install rely on a continuous loop from the outlet of the tankless heater and then back to the inlet of the heater, with as few branches as possible in between -- When possible, I pull 1/2" home runs to each fixture from centrally located flow through manifolds.

The wait time from 'doorbell' pump actuation to h/w delivery is usually about 45 seconds, so most folks have trained themselves to push the button as soon as they enter the wet room.

May 1, 2010, 05:10 AM

Interesting!
    Wish thathisystem did not cost so much.

In our windowless powderoom and bathroom, I'd like to hook up the pump actuator to the light switch.

How much noise does the pump make?
    If placed beneath the sink of our third bedroom, (Jack and Jill which have a sink in each bedroom and tub toilet in a doublentry bathroom) it might disturb someone sleeping.
    Would rather have the valve and thermistor there and pump in the basement.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 1, 2010, 07:07 AM

I am little late to this post but...

What you want is Instant Hot unit with Dispenser. There are several good brands on market. We use Everpure units. It gives you boiling hot water. You can make coffee, tee or cup-of-noodles soup instantly. Also, this unit combines with a dedicated spout. Spouts come in various designs and finishes.

99% of times we combine Everpure Instant Hot unit with Everpure H300 filter. Filtrated water tastes lot better than water directly from the top.
    Attached Images

May 1, 2010, 07:42 AM

Is the H300 an activated charcoal filter?
    Here in Denver, I have seen many filters for rust and sediments but we don't have that problem.
    But I don't see A-charcoal which would remove chlorine taste.

Here I am asking if I can create "instant" hot faucet water by mixing the superheated water from the hot water dispenser reservoir into the ambientemperature water ahead of the hot water in the basement water heater line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have only luke warm water coming through my hot bath tap and sink tap [ 0 Answers ]

Hello I am suddenly only getting luke warm water coming through the hot taps in my bathroom. All other rooms are fine. I have a bungalow with two bathrooms a kitchen and a utility room. The system is run off a LPG combi boiler.

Only warm water from bathroom sink taps but hot water from bath tub tap [ 0 Answers ]

I get hot water from kitchen sink tap and from bath tub tap but only warm water from sink taps in both bathrooms.If I turn on the bath tub tap the warm water at sink taps will get hot but only if I turn on the bath tub hot water tap.The only change that I made was to move the water heater from the...

Back from vacation, no hot water from tap but tank is warm [ 3 Answers ]

We were gone for a week and I usually turn off the water main to the house. Came back and ran cold water, flushed toilets, etc. no problem. Tried to wash hands and no hot water, or water at all for that matter from any hot fixture in the house. I'm fairly competent in plumbing, electrical, etc. ...

Luke warm water from hot water tap [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a condo (efficiency) that was converted from a motel. I 've had and have problems with hot water in taps. The unit is old and the feed pipes from the hot/cold water supplies are not accessible. Last year all I got was luke warm water from the shower and two taps in the unit. I had a...

View more questions Search