Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rgearing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2006, 12:49 PM
    Old wiring of single switch
    Hi. I have a single pole switch with a black wire and red wire coming into the box and forgot to mark them. I have lost power from the switch. How should the switch be hooked up? Does anybody know how I should do this I need help asap Thanks.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2006, 03:07 PM
    If there were only these two wires connected to the switch, then does not matter which wire connects to what terminal. Connecting the two wires together will simulate closing, or turning the switch on, and the light should work. If connecting thse two wires together does not turn the light on, the there is another problem elsewhere that feeds the switch.

Do you have a voltage tester to test the wires at the switch? Only one should be live, can be either the black or red.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

208v single phase wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect a 208v single phase appliance to my home circuit panel? I installed a 30amp breaker which has 2 connections, red and black (hot), then I have white (neutral), and green for ground. The device only as 2 connectors not 3, plus ground? Thanks

3-way switch wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble wiring a 3way light system. I am looking to run two lights from both ends of the switches. My explanation is I had a single light & switch at the top of stairs and a single light & switch at the bottom of stairs. I have ran 12-3 wires between switchs but not sure how to wire...

Ceiling Fan single switch/Light two 3-way switches [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire... Ceiling Fan with Light switched separately. Light to be controlled by two 3-way switches and fan controlled by a separate single switch. :confused:

Dimer switch wiring? [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a single pole switch with a new dimer switch. On the dimer there are four wires, rerd-black-blue and the ground. Where are all these wires connecting to. Jeff

120v/208v single phase appliance wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Recently purchased a coffee machine that has the above reqts. I understand that it has 220 and 110v circuits that need power. I also purchased a generator to power this brewer outside. If I use a NEMA L14-30P plug, to connect into the generator, What is the sequence of wiring for the plug three...

View more questions Search