Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrBillB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 12:36 AM
    Couple electric questions.
    I'm having my old house rewired. I am having them add 200 amp service from the old 100 amp. Does that mean that I can draw up to 200 amps total at one time? :confused: Also, on a 220v 40 amp breaker, is it 40 amps total or 40 amps per line? :eek:
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Nov 9, 2006, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBillB
    1. Does that mean that I can draw up to 200 amps total at one time? :confused:
    2. Also, on a 220v 40 amp breaker, is it 40 amps total or 40 amps per line? :eek:

1. Yes, a 200amp panel can draw up to 200 amps total at one time. However, that may be misleading since it implies 200amps at 220V or 400amps for a balance 110V (200amps at +110V and 200amps at -110V). Since 110V is never balance exactly, I would say 80% of 200A or 160amps at 220V or 320amps at 110V or a mixture there of would be more accurate.

2. A 220V 40amp breaker is able to draw 40amps per line (which is the same thing as 40amps total since it is a loop) during shorter intervals (20 minute intervals) or 32amps continuously.
    Bigworm Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 07:52 PM
    MrBillB,

First off, I would HIGHLY Recommend that you never run your panel or any circuit at it's full potential.
    From the questions you are asking, it seems to me you are designing your circuits to run at max. potential. If you are doing this, I would highly advice that you don't.
    There are codes that require certain appliances/utilities/lights etc etc,. to be used with a certain sized breakers and most importantly a certain sized gauge wire depending on the breaker.
    Oh and I agree with bhayne.

Maybe I'm assuming too much and I apologize for that, but I would rather you err in the side of safety.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

A couple accounting questions [ 1 Answers ]

I'm taking a beginning level accounting course, and we have an ongoing project as part of the course. The idea is to create a fictional service company, and take it through an accounting cycle. It's rather freeform - the nature of the company, and most of its transactions are at our discretion. One...

New lab owner, couple questions [ 4 Answers ]

I have had my 5.5 month old lab for 2 weeks now. When can I introduce him to water? We went for a hike today and he jumped in the creek but was hesitant to go in. how do I teach him to swim? Also, he is in his crate for approx 8 hours a day when we are at work. Is that too long? We don't have any...

New pup, couple of questions [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a new pup that's about 5 weeks old. At 5 weeks, the mother didn't want to feed the pups anymore so she just forgot about them. I think they are a mix of Chiwawa and something else (they are white with black spots, ears pointed downward). Anyway, after bringing it home, all it did was...

View more questions Search