Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jtimmy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 03:02 PM
    Advantages of a 480/277 3 phase Volt system over a 120/240
    I have customer that needs to upgrade his service from 800Amps to 1200Amps. He currently has a 120/240V 3 phase system and a 120/240V System With 2 separate Meters. I am advising that he upgrade and go to a 1200Amp 480V 3 phase system and transform down for existing loads. Will he save any costs on his electric bill over time with a single serevice at 480/277V? If so what approx.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2009, 03:35 PM

I small apples and oranges. You can't compare. Now if you compaed kVA to kVA we're getting somewhere.

Only the, can you start to determine cost-effeciveness.

Energy is Energy. You loose when your power factor goes nuts because of utility penalties.

You may be able to ditch jut about all of it unless he needs 240 and go 480/277 3p, 208 3p and 120 1p.

Usually you save on copper costs by going to a higher voltage.

What kind of loads do we have now and what kind od additional koads are proposed/ What' the kVA requrements of both.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2009, 03:58 PM
    Yea, changing to a single service might help. For one, there would be only one utility charge.

I doubt your lighting has universal ballasts, so changing lighting to 277 would not be feasible.

You have to look at what you can reuse or is this going to be a hodge podge kind of thing.

You need to look primarily at the additional loads planned. If it's a 7000 HP chiller or 25, 1000W kilns.

You need to look to see if your motors will like 208V rather than 240.

Is he a candidate for primary distribution?

Above all compare apples to apples and do a load analysis. This means knowing what's connected.

For instance, there are advantages of doing a floor by floor distribution and there are advantages of using a transformer and load center in a machine shop.

Electricity you won't save. You may have a payback. It may be easier to troubleshoot. It might be time for an upgrade.

I've asked that this tread be moved to Electrical & Lighting so we can get better input from our resident Electricians even though it's in the major category "Home and Garden". It's not your fault it ended up here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring in a 240 volt single pole thermosat in wall heater [ 3 Answers ]

I have installed a new wall heater and it came with a single pole thermosat, after I had it all wired I cannot get it to shut off regardless of which way you turn the stat.

Will a 208 volt 3 phase mixer work off a 240 volt 3 phase service? [ 7 Answers ]

I have 240 volt 3 phase service and I have a 208 volt 3 phase mixer. Can I hook it up to the 240 volt 3 phase service? Also I have a 208 volt 3 phase oven will it work for that as well?

208 volt3 phase why to single phase 120 volt [ 4 Answers ]

Supply is from 75 kva transformer, 3 phase delta /y three wire feeding a 30 amp breaker. 100 feet down stream is a junction box that I want to tap and produce a 120 v single phase ( 20 amp CB) supply. The junction box feeds a 6 amp motor

3 phase 230 volt panel [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 3 phase 230 volt 3 wire panel that has a 120, 120 & 208 volts phase to ground and 230, 230, & 230 phase to phase.The AC guy came and installed a new 208/230 volt 3 phase unit. He measured above voltages and told me since one of the voltages is 208 we have to fix that problem first. Do you...

3 phase 208 volt/120 volt .load [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to hook up a commercial espresso machine which has a 220 line. My existing electrical box is a 3 phase 208 volt/120 volt. Would this be sufficient to handle this?? Thank you

View more questions Search