Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diningroomfan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2009, 10:47 AM
    Converting remote control ceiling fan to 3-speed wall switch
    Customer has ceiling fan which is only remote control. We want to wire a wall 3-speed wall switch instead of the remote. The fan unit only has intrernal wiring for the remote use. It has 4 wires going to the motor for speed control. How do I connect these wires to a single incoming hot wire having the speeds contolled by the wall switch?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2009, 07:20 PM

Won't work, because the motor requires capacitors to operate, which are built into the remote receiver UNLESS the fan has pullchains and/or only 3 wires into the receiver.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring for 5-speed fan control wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have installed a ceiling fan/light fixture, however, am not sure as how to wire the wall switch, specifically the wiring for the 5-speed fan control. I am able to get the light to work, but not the fan. Look forward to your replies. Thank you

Remote Control Ceiling Fan wiring for a double wall switch [ 5 Answers ]

I purchased a Hunter remote control ceiling fan. I've replaced fixtures before in my home, so I thought this would be a no brainer. Well the remote thing has me stumped. House is pre-wired with a double wall switch, one with a dial control for the fan, the other switch is for a wall outlet...

Installing wall remote for ceiling fan into wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

I've had no luck with getting the wall remote on my Hampton Bay ceiling fan to work. I was able to get the fan to work with the wall switch, but once I change out the switch with the wall remote it doesn't work. The l.e.d. on the wall remote is not even lighting. There are 6 switches on the...

Converting remote control ceiling fan to normal operation [ 3 Answers ]

How can I convert my remote control combo ceiling fan and light to work normal off a light switch? I know I would need some kit to replace the remote receiver in the fan, so that I could manually switch speeds and direction and turn on light. Is there such a kit? The fan is made by Smartel, Inc....

Wall Speed control on old ceiling fan install new with pull switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old celing fan purchased in the 80's with a wall mount speed control knob. I purchased a Hampton Bay, Huntinton III 522-306 3 speed control with a pull chain. When installing the unit the fan does not work. I have a white wire, a black wire, a blue wire for the light and a ground...

View more questions Search