Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockyt Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2006, 09:20 AM
    Receptacles and face plates
    I was changing the Receptcels and face plates in my kitchen and one of the wires touched the box the on /off switch for the disposal. It has a receptical next to it(one of those combo things) The breaker tripped after that but now I can't get the dish washer or garbage disposal to work. There is no power going to the outlet under the sink, where they get plugged in to.Everything else in the house works. I didn't rehook up the on/off switch combo receptacle. Does that have to be hooked up inorder for the ones on the bottom to get power? What else can u suggest? Other than calling an electrician!! (in my defence I did shut off the breaker... I just shut the wrong one)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2006, 11:09 AM
    If the switch controls the outlet, it must be connected or the wires jumpered to work. Note, there may be different feeds for the 2 outlets in a duplex. Also check the breaker. Sometimes you have to push the lever all the way to off and then back to reset it.

People have gotten killed from turning the wrong breaker off. I found a great gadget for checking that and many other things.

To do simple checks like this you do need some tools. A test light, a meter, or a voltage detector might be the best place to start with. I came across the niftiest gadget for trouble shooting, a voltage detector. They work through the insulation of wires. There are several brands. I have a GB Instruments GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to a hot wire, and the end glows red. Find the doodad that lights it on one side, and not the other, and you have the culprit. You do not have to open up housings and expose electrical contacts. You are looking at where your hand is, not where the meter is. Most people are capable of doing repairs and will get it going and not get hurt if they use a little sense. The voltage detector makes it even easier.
    The WB Posts: 78, Reputation: 6

Oct 11, 2006, 11:45 AM
    FIRST, IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, YOU NEED TO GET SOMEONE WHO DOES OR GET AN ELECTRICIAN. NEVER WORK ON A LIVE CIRCUIT!! Second, I know that loud pop, that probably occurred, scared the hell out of you. Hahahahaha!!
    The switch is probably the control for the garbage disposal, which also has a circuit breaker underneath. The recptical is probably part of the circuit that runs to the undersink receptical. The circuit is not complete if it is not complete with it being disconnected. Hopefully, you are using a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt) type receptical which has its own circuit breaker(for use in moist areas or around water).
    If you are going to do this yourself (I HOPE NOT!), I would suggest turning off the main breaker since you, apparently, don't know what to turn off.
    Rockyt Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2006, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockyt
    I was changing the Receptcels and face plates in my kitchen and one of the wires touched the box the on /off switch for the disposal. it has a receptical next to it(one of those combo things) The breaker tripped after that but now I can't get the dish washer or garbage disposal to work. there is no power going to the outlet under the sink, where they get plugged in to.Everything else in the house works. I didnt rehook up the on/off switch combo recepticle. Does that have to be hooked up inorder for the ones on the bottom to get power? what else can u suggest? Other than calling an electrician!!!!!!!! (in my defence I did shut off the breaker ....I just shut the wrong one)
    OK if the switch controls the disposal then I can see why it has to be hooked up but what about the dishwasher? There's no swtich for that all you do is plug it in.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2006, 01:52 PM
    Have you looked elsewhere for a GFI receptacle that tripped? Check all outdoor outlets, garage, bathrooms, and at the panel for a GFI with test and reset buttons .

If you cannot find a breaker, GFi, or the breaker on the unit tripped, more times than realized, splices can be damaged by a short circuit.

Definitely time for a pro if that is the problem.
    The WB Posts: 78, Reputation: 6

Oct 11, 2006, 07:24 PM
    The dishwasher may have it's own breaker built in or it could have a separate breaker in the panel. Flick all of the breakers off and on. Before you do it try and make sure everything is connected correctly.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Oct 11, 2006, 08:25 PM
    The receptacle portion of what you describe as a "combo thing" may need to be hooked back up for the other appliances to work. Possibly the receptacle portion is hooked up in parallel with (and ahead of) the other non-functional receptacles. If you have broken the limb at that point by disconnecting the "combo thing", you may have also killed the circuit beyond that point. Before you also kill yourself trying to figure out this potentially dangerous situation, call a pro. Also, it's as simple as plugging in a lamp or flicking on the disposal to make sure the proper breaker has been opened and that you aren't working on a live circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bumps on face [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my one month old baby girl is getting little flesh colored bumps around her checks and the back of her head, I was woundering if this is normal or if there is something I can do to prevent it. Thank you, Mike

New Face Lift! [ 26 Answers ]

I was surprised when I came to askmehelpdesk just a few minutes ago. Everything looks so different and set up differently. What was behind the changes and how many more changes are coming. Joe

Do I take this at face value [ 9 Answers ]

We were together for 8 years. We had a quarrel - he no longer wanted to see me - now 1 month later he sends the following - he is an aquarius I am a scorpion. Where do I go from here - I have always pictured myself growing old with him Most of the anger has subsided but the hurt and...

A girlish face [ 17 Answers ]

I am a boy, 28 years old. I like to have a girlish face. How can I do?

Face Fats [ 2 Answers ]

I am 87 kg and 175 cm tall, am not chubby but I have a lot of fats I don't want around my waist and in my face, I need to lose like 5 kg but most important is how to los emy FACE FATS? There are no excersies for that, I have plenty of fats in my checks and chin, keep moving up and down when I...

View more questions Search