Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leewindschitl Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Jun 4, 2009, 09:13 PM
    Diodes for lighting circuit
    I'm looking for a diode that I can use in my ceiling fan, 120v circuit. Is there such a thing?

What I'm trying to accomplish is pure laziness.. I want my fan to operate on a different circuit than my light that is on it, so I could hit the light switch on the wall and turn off the light, but have the fan still going. I don't want to be arsed into running the fan its own separate power wire up there, simply because I really don't have a good idea as to where I could tap off. I am going to take the two lines from my 3 way switch, tap into them both, run a diode in that so I could tie them together without screwing up the light circuit. See image :D

Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2009, 02:55 AM

I don't think that will work for you. AC
    However, they make several remotes that have a receiver you connect in fan, and a Wall and /or handheld remote to control light brightness and fan speed. Match codes and have a second remote for the second location.
    leewindschitl Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Jun 5, 2009, 06:32 AM
    Ack yeah, figured that out last night right after I asked the question... silly alternating current
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2009, 06:51 AM

Here's an example:
    CEILING FAN & LIGHT REMOTE CNTRL BY HUNTER NO RESERVE!! - eBay (item 280353198593 end time Jun-08-09 19:51:16 PDT)
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Jun 5, 2009, 08:17 AM
    This goes against your goal of laziness, but if you are willing to forego the ability to turn the light on or off from both switches, you could use one switch for the light and the other for the fan. Simply use the red wire to supply voltage from switch box #1 over to #2. Then use the black wire from each box to power the light and fan respectively.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2009, 02:01 PM

What make is the fan?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many 3way switches can be used in lighting circuit [ 4 Answers ]

Need to know how many 3way switches can be used lighting circuit

Can I mix outlets and lighting on one 20 amp circuit all with 12 g wire? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an open unfinished basement with a 20 amp circuit which supplies only a junktion box. It used to have a pull light on it. I have continued the 12 gage wire, which entered the junction box originating in the panel, from the junction box to two new floresent lights and ran further 12 gage...

Lighting circuit [ 1 Answers ]

Doing some minor work to lighting in a 1957 house. The circuit seems modern(ish) but has 3 wires plus earth (instead of 2 plus earth) coloured yellow, red and blue. Need assistance understanding circuit and adding lights.

How many lights on a 15A lighting circuit [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone! First post and thanks in advance, hopefully! I was wondering how many lights I can put on a 15A lighting circuit. I have a second floor that I want to put a (1) hall light, (3) closet lights, & (1) bedroom light. Would it be too much to put a bathroom vanity light and a vent...

View more questions Search