Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toycut Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2006, 12:55 AM
    Ballast question
    Hello,

I have a ballast that works on 240 volt normal single phase house power. My question is will it work in a warehouse that is 240 volt power. The supply is 600 volt 60 amp. My understanding is this is 3 phase power.

How does that work?

Also what is the difference between single phase and 3 phase? Does it save a person money?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2006, 03:42 AM
    Is work 600 volt or 240 volt?
    Or both, because they have a transformer?
    As long as the voltage at work is 240 volt , the ballast will work.

A simple explanation between 1 & 3 phase;

100 amps at 240 volt 1 phase can provide 24000 watts of power

100 amps at 240 volt 3 phase can provide 41520 watts of power

With the addition of one wire.

Single phase loads can be connected to a 3 phase power source,by only using two of the three power wires.

The intention of 3 phase is not to save money for operations, but to provide more power capacity with lower initial costs.
    toycut Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2006, 05:01 AM
    Yes, work is 600 volt and 240 volt because there is a transformer.

Ok so using 240 volt 3 phase power only makes sense if you have the option. Basically from your explanation it reduces the amount of amps a appliance uses?

So you say "with the addition of one wire." Where is this wire connected to the ballast?

Normally on single phase 240 volt power the black wire is connected to the 240 volt wire on the ballast and the white wire is connected to the common wire. On the lamp side, the LHS wire is connected to the white wire and the "lamp" wire is connected to the black wire.

Hope this makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Is work 600 volt or 240 volt?
    Or both, because they have a transformer?
    As long as the voltage at work is 240 volt , the ballast will work.

A simple explanation between 1 & 3 phase;

100 amps at 240 volt 1 phase can provide 24000 watts of power

100 amps at 240 volt 3 phase can provide 41520 watts of power

with the addition of one wire.

Single phase loads can be connected to a 3 phase power source,by only using two of the three power wires.

The intention of 3 phase is not to save money for operations, but to provide more power capacity with lower initial costs.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2006, 05:08 AM
    You asked two questions that I try to answer, the three phase explanation is not related to connecting the ballast to three phase.

If you have 240 volt three phase, which you need to be sure by measuring the volts, then connect the two input wires of the ballast to any two of the 3 phase hot wires of the 240 volt distribution sysem.

Three hot phase wires ony are used if the equipment needs 3 phase power. Just wanted to let you know that a three phase system can feed a single phase load. And not vice versa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ballast [ 7 Answers ]

What is the test procedure for a ballast. I would like to know how wired up in light and a bench test. Thank you in advance for any help. :eek:

480 volt ballast [ 1 Answers ]

Hello currently looking at setting up 480 volt 1000 watt high pressure sodium ballasts. Primary power is 600 volts 60 amp. From that what is the max amps I can use at 480 volts? A qualified electrition will be doing that part... then the trick will be working with the wiring and setting up...

I have a question regarding skin. Question is on skin... [ 1 Answers ]

whenever I get hit or scratched, or bitten to hard, that area of my skin where is occurred gets red and then I get a white raised bump ( of skin) in the senter or along the redness. It goes away in minutes but still highly unattractive. What can I do to prevent this?? Sum 1 email me help....

Modifying a HPS ballast, spooky! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi chaps, I have a 400W Metal Halide bulb and ballast. The bulb socket is permanantly attached to the end of the ballast and the unit is designed to hang vertically from the opposite end of the ballast. I would like to separate the ballast from the bulb by two meters. I have opened the ballast...

View more questions Search