Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lotus7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2009, 07:44 PM
    Fluorescent not working - ballast and tubes are OK
    I have two fluorescent fixtures that are exactly the same in my kitchen. They both went out the same day - I don't know if it was exactly the same moment or not. On one of them, I noticed a tube was black on one side. I replaced the tube and that fixture works fine now.

New tubes did not fix the other fixture, so I assumed the ballast was at fault, and being too lazy to swap the other working fixture's ballast in, I got a new ballast. Turns out the ballast wasn't the problem. I swapped the ballasts and tubes between the fixtures, and it didn't help, so I know it isn't the ballast or tubes.

The tubes in the faulty fixture are lighting up orange at the ends. The fixture takes two F20T12CW tubes. The Ballast is ADVANCE BALLAST HM-2SP20-TP 120 VOLT. The ballast is a rapid start magnetic type, and I don't see any starter, so I assume there is no starter.

I pulled out my multimeter to check the wiring. I checked the continuity of the fixture wiring to the tube sockets and it checks out fine. I then checked out the voltage across the AC feed wires and it was around 117 with switch on and 0 with switch off.

I also decided to multimeter the working fixture to see if there was any difference between the fixtures. The only difference was with the power switch OFF the AC feed wires had 11 volts.

So I would appreciate any help on fixing the faulty fixture, and an explanation why the working fixture feed wires have 11 volts when the power switch is off.

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 08:06 PM

Is wiring done this way?

http://www.advancetransformer.com/eC...4830708461.pdf

The 11 volts is likely leakage current. It's low enough to be measured on your DVM. A DVM draws a certain amount of current, possibly 10 uA or less.

I do suspect a wiring problem. Sockets are problematic too.
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Apr 26, 2009, 06:45 PM
    I've gotten bad ballasts out of the box!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Occupancy sensor, fluorescent light, electronic ballast, and relay [ 13 Answers ]

Hi! I'm at my whits end with this one so here goes... I'm currently installing recessed fluorescent T8 2-lamp fixtures in my garage, one of which I want to have powered by a Leviton PR180 occupancy sensor. After my initial installation attempt, the fixture flickered and it was then that I...

Ballast [ 7 Answers ]

What is the test procedure for a ballast. I would like to know how wired up in light and a bench test. Thank you in advance for any help. :eek:

Plugged ear tubes eas canal tubes don't flap when checked [ 2 Answers ]

When the Dr. checks my ears, the tubes don't move like they're supposed to move. Can surgery be done?

My ballast won't work I think do to 120V supply when it's a 240V ballast will this work [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 240V 60Hz 600W ballast and Im trying to hook it up in a small nursury room in my home. I like in California so I think the V ac is 120. Can I use this converter on the top of this page. Will it work if I plug it in to the wall that supplies what I think 120V. I think this because on the...

Fluorescent lamp vs ballast [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fluorescent ceiling fixture with two circular lamps and two separate ballasts. One of the lamps is not longer lighting. Is there any way to determine which element (lamp or ballast) is defective? I have used a continuity tester to check out incandescent lamps but am not sure how to do...

View more questions Search