Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevejl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 03:24 AM
    Lights are flickering on multiple circuits
    Hi all.

I live in an apt. bldg, circa mid-1960's in Canada, have own conventional fuse panel in apt. with 6 fuses for outlets and lights, plus stove separate.

I recently bought a new surge-protected 7 outlet power bar (APC), plugged it in and connected a 2-prong plug to it (router) and got a fairly large spark at the location I was plugging into (did not go all the way in), and immediately pulled the plug away. This spark did not blow the fuse (on panel), nor trip the breaker on the power bar, nor damage the router, but now lights (both switched overhead incandescent and plugged in fluorescent/incandescent lamps) on the same circuit, plus others on a separate circuit/fuse have started flickering. I have disconnected and shelved the power bar (will exchange). A friend tested the power bar and it indicates hot/ground were reversed but it died and blew his circuit while he was testing it. I tried disconnecting the fuse on the circuit that I was plugging into, for 15 minutes or so, hoping that would reset something, but no luck.

What I wonder is what could be causing the lights to flicker now and what possible dangers might have been introduced? I have computer equipment on this circuit also.

Thank you for any advice.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2009, 05:29 AM

Remove the fuse to that circuit, then check recepticles and lights to see what is on that circuit, Likely a loose connection in one of the
    Recepticles, light or switch boxes.
    May be in a Junction box in Basement or Attic.
    Are some lights/recepticle steady on that circuit, problem may be in first bad receptacle or last good receptacle.
    Was the spark between the routers plug and Power strip?
    stevejl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Remove the fuse to that circuit, then check recepticles and lights to see what is on that circuit, Likely a loose connection in one of the
    recepticles, light or switch boxes.
    May be in a Junction box in Basement or Attic.
    Are some lights/recepticle steady on that circuit, problem may be in first bad recepticle or last good recepticle.
    Was the spark between the routers plug and Power strip?
    Thank you for responding, and am going to check the junctions at all switches and recepticles, as you suggest.

And yes, the spark was between the routers plug (a walwart) and Power strip.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 12:11 PM

In addition to what has been offered I'd also call your landlord. They usually do not want you touching any part of the actual panel or circuitry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flickering CFL lights [ 1 Answers ]

Why do CFL lights flicker when off. Its only the ones in light sockets that can dim.

Flickering Lights [ 2 Answers ]

All of the sudden... When we turn on our appliances downstairs, our lights in that area flicker. Why is this so? Should I be alarmed?? It has been doing this now for a couple of weeks. Thank You, Jenna Coy:eek:

Flickering Lights [ 2 Answers ]

Recently, we have experienced flickering lights at various spots throughout the house. As I'm typing this the lights just went off and back on and nothing else was on in the house. Our house is over 20 years old. Any idea where we should start investigating? It has never happened before.

Flickering lights [ 1 Answers ]

:mad: i have some lights that are flickering in the down stairs bath and hall and a small computer room what could be the problem? I think it could be a week braker, or a bad connection. What do you think. Thanks for any help.

Flickering lights [ 37 Answers ]

Bigg oops I thought I double posted the question some how and edited/lost the origonal Dangit will try to recompose it Issue of dimming lights, brightening of lights, constant flickering. All these would be a lot worse of a flicker when it is night time or windy out, but still quite often in...

View more questions Search