Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bglover Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2009, 02:34 PM
    3 wire plus metal conduit as a ground for a range
    I am installing a new range. I have a three wires coming out of a metal conduit which is properly connected to a 60 amp breaker. I have a three wire cord and a grounded surface mounted outlet. I assume that the ground will connect through the metal conduit. THis will ground the outlet. How do I assure that the range is grounded? I also have a four wire cord that came with the range that has a dedicated ground wire. Should I get a four prong surface mount plug? If so how do I ground that outlet as there are only three wires in the conduit? A bit confused.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2009, 06:20 AM

Attach to the metal box for the ground. Measure from hot to ground to verify ground is intact.
    ssnook Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 02:45 PM
    Attach to the metal box for the ground. Measure from hot to ground to verify ground is intact.
    If there is no path for grounding then install GFCI recepticals for safety, which will allow you to use grounded equipment.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2011, 07:38 PM
    Well, since it's conduit... can you pull a ground wire? It's surely the safest, best alternative to relying on conduit connections for a ground.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2011, 04:54 AM
    Ssnook, your at it again, answering year old questions.

And your answer makes no sense, since the question has to do with a range circuit.

Are you suggesting to use a 40 amp GFI receptacle? Does not exist.

120 volt 15 or 20 amp GFI receptacles are allowed to be used when an equipment ground is not present, however, that does not create an equipment ground for grounded equipment, and the device or any receptacle protected by that GFI must be labeled "No Equipment Ground".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PVC or Metal conduit into a subpanel? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'm installing a 200 amp subpanel in my barn, and am using 2" PVC conduit (buried) from the house. As I was going into the barn, I got to thinking that perhaps metal should be used above ground (in the wall feeding the panel). I would prefer to use the 2" PVC, all the way, but was...

What size metal conduit should I use? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a cable 1.1 Inches in diameter. The National Electric Code says that a metal conduit cannot be filled more than 60%. It must have 40% of its space free. What size conduit should I use?

Ground wire in separate conduit. [ 1 Answers ]

Is it required by code to run the ground wire in the same conduit as the hot and nuetral conductors?

Adequate conduit size for range and water heater wire [ 1 Answers ]

I want to place pvc conduit in walls that I am going to close up with drywall. The jobsite is a detached garage, into an apt. previously unfinished. I would like to have the conduit in wall so when I get to the point where I can afford the appliances and conductor I can move forward. There will be...

Can you use Metal Conduit as ground to convert 2 wire to 3 wire? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to convert an old cinder block house from 2 wire outlets to 3 wire by adding a ground to all outlets. Since the entire house is cinder block, all the circuits from the basement breaker box are in flexible metal conduit and metal outlet boxes... Is it possible to use the metal conduit...

View more questions Search