Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chiguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2006, 12:37 PM
    Track lighting question
    Hopefully an easy one for you guys:

I am replacing track lighting in my house (built in '97). The new track has black, white and green wires. The exisiting junction box in the ceiling has a yellow and a white wire with no ground. Should I wire yellow-->black and white-->white? Can I ground the light to the junction box itself?

Thanks in advance!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2006, 02:01 PM
    Can you tell me why there is a yellow wire? Is this wired using conduit? White shold be neutral, so white to white, the yellow should be hot so yellow to black

Is the outlet box metal? Is this box grounded? If so the green can connect to the box.
    chiguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2006, 03:57 PM
    Yes, conduit is used and the outlet box is metal and (supposedly) grounded. So, I will connect the green to the box.

Thanks for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Track lighting prob. [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed a new hampton bay track and also hooked up three new hampton bay hanging track lights. After the install, turned the dimmer on and all of the way up and only the light on the end of the track lights up. The other two filaments are glowing slightly. If I take off one of the...

Hampton Bay Track Lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing Hampton Bay track lighting in my kitchen. I am wanting to use the H design with two parallel tracks. Using two 4' bars on each side connected with a 2' bar in the middle. We have one side hooked up but when we tried to put the T connector in the other side it would not fit. Do...

Hampton bay track lighting [ 1 Answers ]

We just installed a hampton by track and bought Halo by Laser lights. Nothing is working. Are they not combatible? They are both "3-wire" systems, (I believe called "H" systems) with 2 wires on one side and one on the other.

Track lighting question [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. In my kitchen, there is an old track lighting fixture that does not function. I'm assuming that this worked at one time, but not while I've lived in the house. I am interested in replacing it with a new fixture. There are electrical connections in the ceiling where the old fixture is but...

Hampton Bay Track Lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I have Hampton Bay track lighting in a bathroom and now two of the heads will not work, I have replaced with new heads and still will not work, can move the last two heads that do work to any place on the track and they work. Have replaced bulbs with one that have confirmed working.

View more questions Search