Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fencer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2006, 11:31 AM
    Mix match plug and receptacle
    Can I wire a 20 amp, 3 pole, 4 wire grounding locking plug to a 50 amp 2 pole 3 wire receptacle? I would like to use a portable generator in a remote area.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2006, 03:22 PM
    Really depends on a few things, such as which is the generator the 20 amp or 50 amp?

If the 50 amp is the generator, what is the voltage across the black and white? What is the third wire in the 50 amp outlet, a neutral or a ground?

If the 50 amp outlet is the feed , is there a 50 amp breaker protecting it?

Normally a 20 amp device should not be fed by or protected by a 50 amp breaker, since the 20 amp wire can be overloaded and overheat.

Get back with more info and we can go further from there.

Aug 15, 2006, 08:44 AM
    The generator is 20 amp. It has circuit breakers. The unit I want to run off the generator uses the three prong (50 amp style) receptacle. The plug to the generator has four prongs/ wires, yet the receptacle has three. How do I go from four wires to three? Bryan
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2006, 04:26 PM
    All I can assume is that the third wire of the 50 amp circuit is an equipment ground, which will connect to the equipment ground (green) on the generator outlet.

As far as actually connecting the wires, the easiest method will be to get a 20 amp 4 wire plug to match the outlet, and connect the 3-50 amp wires to the plug. These wires may not fit in the terminals on the plug.

Keep in mind, the 50 amp circuit will be limited to drawing 20 amps, due to the rating of the genset, breaker and outlet.

Aug 16, 2006, 12:27 PM
    OK, the plug is labeled as such (where the wires go in). White, X, Ground, and Y. Ground would go to the green wire on the receptacle. Would White go to the white, or would x or y go to white? Then does x or y go to black? Bryan
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2006, 01:59 PM
    Does not matter, x or y , which hot wire goes to which, ony the green ground goes to ground.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Muratti match [ 8 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the meaning of the word, it's origins etc? We play many sports against our local insular rivals and these matches are termed "Murrattis". I can find no meaning of the word during web searches or in English or French dictionaries. The only use I have come across is as a name....

A Perfect Match? [ 5 Answers ]

I am married, and about a year ago, my husband gave me reasons to believe he was having an affiar. I investigated on my own, the more I found out, the more guilty he appeared to be. When the evidence was laid out before him. He admitted that he had been talking to a woman, and they had discussed a...

Receptacle testers [ 4 Answers ]

When using a standard receptacle tester on a GFI circuit, I get a Hot/Ground Reverse reading. When I test the same GFI circuit with a GFI Receptacle Tester, I get an Open Neutral reading. The problem was a loose neutral wire . Are these normal readings to expect from the two testers? ...

Receptacle wiring [ 3 Answers ]

I want to add a receptacle to a box I have in my pantry that has an existing light switch. I have a three wire load coming in to the box from the circuit breaker. The red is wired to the switch and the blacks and whites are connected with wire nuts. The three wires feed other boxes in my kitchen....

Hot/Ground reverse on GFI receptacle [ 3 Answers ]

My screened porch has a ceiling fan w/light and a 2nd light fixture, both running off an outside GFI receptacle. In short, I ran wire from the GFI receptacle to a double switch box; one switch is wired to the fan fixture, the other switch is wired to the light fixture. All has been working fine for...

View more questions Search