Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ormecyn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 08:33 AM
    Converting electric baseboards to forced air
    I am looking at purchasing a cottage, bungalow style, and was wondering what it would cost to convert the existing electric baseboard heat to forced air? Also who would I contact to do this type of job?

Please get back to me,

Thanks

Cynthia

Just wondering approx. how much it would cost to convert a electric baseboards in a cottage to forced air? Also do you have to have a basement to put in forced air?

Thank you for your previous response, hope you can help me with this one to,

Cynthia
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2009, 08:39 AM

Your really going to have to talk to a few AC contractors and get some estimates. At least 3.

They need to do a Manual J (to size the system) and a Manual D to do duct design,

You might also find a contractor that can do "High velocity" type systems. These use small tubes about 1.5" in diameter and thus are easy to do retrofits with.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Jan 20, 2009, 11:02 AM

Convert is not a term I would use in this situation. I would not remove value to the property that you one day may need as at least backup. Leave the electric baseboards in place, and get a fresh quote for a forced air furnace per the previous advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Forced Hot Air *Electric [ 2 Answers ]

I have forced hot air and the unit outside has been frosted during most of the winter even on days that aren't so cold(50 degrees) the air coming out of the vents are cold and the temp inside will not get any warmer than 60 and the therm is set at 74... please help

Converting from electric to forced heat [ 2 Answers ]

I have baseboard electric heat and am going to convert to forced heat. What will have to be done to convert over to this. Will I also have to upgrade my air condition unit. It is old and I would like to so should I do it all at one time. I honestly don't know jack about this subject. Thanks. ...

Electric baseboards [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the best location for installing electric baseboards ? On an exterior wall or interior ? Also is a unit mounted stat adequate or should I spend the extra and get wall mounted stats ? Thanks in advance. Chuck

How efficient is it to convert gas forced air to electric forced air? [ 1 Answers ]

I am afraid of a gas furnace, for fear of an explosion. I have had this fear since I was a little boy. Hence, I simply must have an electric heating system. However, the area in the MidWest where I have been considering has almost no electric homes, mostly because of the high electric rates...

View more questions Search