Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    browny68 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 02:16 AM
    Wiring 2- 12volt lights to one switch
    I would to know how to wire 2- 12volt lights to one switch
    So I can switch one light on but the second light is off then be able to switch the second + first light on together
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 07:46 PM

I'll be interested with what folks suggest here, I sure can't picture this.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2009, 08:23 PM
    You would need a dbl. throw dbl. pole switch to do this. A switch with 3 positions, where the center position is off, one way would control the first light, and the other way would control both lights. Any other combination would need a multi-pole switch, like a rotary switch or two switches. A headlight switch is a multi-pole switch, as an example.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2009, 06:08 AM

Wire the DPDT switch with power to center 2 terminals, then hook up 1 light to 1 corner of the switch, the second light connects to the other poles corner, the light that needs to be on in both positions will get a jumper from the N/O and the N/C connection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring multible lights to one switch [ 5 Answers ]

I want to wire a light to a light to a switch and if possible a receptacle at end

Wiring accent lights to a switch [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to wire some accent lights, 3 to be exact, to a wall light switch that is controlling another light. I have a setup where I have to wire all 3 light assemblies with a two prong plug on the end of them. They plug into, what I can only describe as, an extension cord with a place for...

Wiring Double Switch to 2 lights [ 5 Answers ]

I recently added a flood light to the outside. I used 14/2 wire. I want to wire it to an existing light where the power source is and then to a stacked switch where I can turn off and on both lights. How do I do this?

Wiring one switch to operate two lights [ 4 Answers ]

I'm remodelling my bathroom and want to add a light above the vanity that operates off the same existing switch that operates the overhead light. The power current comes from the ceiling fixture to the switch. I added the vanity light along the cable on its way to the switch. However, now...

Wiring one switch for multiple lights [ 2 Answers ]

I understand the wiring for a single switch for a single light but what do I do with multiple lights on the one switch without making the whole circuit run off that switch. There are other outlets that need constant power on the same line as the two lights.

View more questions Search