Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bell foto art Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 07:16 PM
    When using a 3 way bulb in a standard light socket, which wattage lights up?
    When using a 3 way bulb in a standard light socket, which wattage lights up?

Lets say you screw in a 50-100-150watt 3 way bulb in a standard on/off lamp, which wattage will turn on when you turn on the lamp. What happens if you put a 3 way bulb into a non-switched lamp, planning to use a foot dimmer. Will the dimmer cause it to dimm through it's
    50-100-150watt cycle, or will it not work at all?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2009, 07:18 PM

The 50 watt setting will be the one that lights up. The other 2 settings will not be activated at all. Don't know the answer to the second part though to be honest with you.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2009, 03:38 PM

Set the lamp for maximum level desired, then only dim by the foot switch.
    Be sure it can handle 150 watts.
    If using a dimmer, you could use a regular bulb.
    Sort of like a Belt AND suspenders.
    Switching is 50 watts, 100 watts, then both filiments(150 watts)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a ceiling fan with a standard 2 bulb light fixture [ 3 Answers ]

After removing the ceiling fan there were two cables of wire coming into the junction box in the ceiling. One cable (I think from the wall switch) has a red, black, white, and bare copper ground wire. The other cable in the junction box has a black, white, and bare copper ground wire. When I...

Convert A15 intermediate socket to A19 standard socket [ 10 Answers ]

I need more light from my Hampton Bay ceiling fan light. It has the new A15 Intermediate base bulb and does not put out enough light. Is there a fluorescent bulb available for the Intermediate base socket? Is there an adapter available for the socket that would allow me to use a Standard size...

Using a twin bulb adapter in a 3-way lamp socket [ 3 Answers ]

In order to increase the light output from a lamp, I've purchased a twin socket adapter (shaped like a Y) that screws into the existing socket. The lamp has a 3-way socket that works fine with a 1-way compact screw-in fluorescent bulb. However, when I screw in the adapter with two compact...

Wattage used on a bulb with a dimmer [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 150 watt bulb in a living room lamp. The cord has a built in dimmer which we keep pretty well dimmed most of the time. Am I using the full 150 watts of electricity even when the bulb is not being fully lit?

Calculating wattage: each bulb, or fixture? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there again. Thanks for all the useful help on this site. I think the last piece of info I need to complete my project is, when calculating wattages, (ex, 15 amp, 1440 watts max), if a light fixture has 4-60 watt bulbs, does that count as 240 watts or as one fixture at 60. Sounds like a...

View more questions Search