Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jameslrice Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 01:44 PM
    Installing new 240V circuit for wall heater
    I had an electrician install all new circuits, outlets and recessed lighting for my basement finishing project. Just as I'm about to put up the drywall I considered that it might be worthwhile to add a wall heater before I close everything up. This morning I purchased a 3,000 watt model at HD.

In the interest of time I'd like to run the cable and install the breaker myself. From reading online, it looks like for less than 3,840 watts I should install a 20-amp double pole breaker, and run 12/2 with ground. Both the cables will be hot, with no neutral.. which is fine I presume?

The thing is I looked for the breaker for my box online and I notced the breaker that I think I need (based on the above) recommends #10-3 cable?

Here's the breaker I think I would need, am I missing something? Do I need a neutral to be code-compliant?

Product Information Double Pole breaker

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 3, 2009, 02:13 PM
    You are correct. You need 12/2, a neutral is not necessary unless the appliance requires it. Most 240v heaters do not.

The breaker will be a 2-pole 20, but it must be the correct one to fit you panel. Brand and style. An example would be: Square D, QO series; or Cutler-Hammer, BR series.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to tap 120V out of 240V heater circuit [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I need to tap 120V out of the existing 240V baseboard heater wirings to use a 120V 3-prong washer (the heater itself was removed, only the wiring left. I do have a 120V outlet nearby but on the other side of the doorway so I don't want to use it) Currently there are 5 wires at the 240V...

Can I have a 120V and a 240V outlet on the same circuit? [ 13 Answers ]

I am installing a 4 wire 50 amp plug in the laundry room but I am also plumbing a gas line. If I end up with a gas dryer I'll need a 120V plug. Is it permissible by national code to install a 20A 120V plug off the 50 240V breaker. Since it's an A or B use case it seems safe but is it code...

240v wall heater on single pole switch [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, The wall heater is on a 240v circuit. On the heater itself it has a on/off siwtch. But someone wanted a wall switch in another room to control the switch. Is it okay to use a single pole switch to switch one of the hot legs of the heater? Thanks in advance

Replace 240v Water Heater Circuit with 120v Receptacle? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 240v electric water heater that I am getting rid of (going NG tankless). Can I use the now unused 240v wire that comes from the breaker panel as a 120 volt receptacle so I can have a plug on the wall where the old electric water heater was? The new tankless water heater is going...

Installing double pole wall t-stat baseboard heater [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 220 baseboard heater, and it is on dedicated circuit. Heater works okay as I have run wires straight through and turned on circuit breaker and heater works. This is a Marley baseboard heater and wall double pole thermostat. Instructions with thermostat leave a lot to be desired. Actual...

View more questions Search