Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnpaul Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2006, 11:33 AM
    Basement receptacles
    Hi, I want to put four receptacles in my basement, its an unfinished basement and I'll put in a
    GFCI plug. My question is this: do I bond the metal boxes and Im not sure if I am supposed to ground the plugs that are fed off the GFCI? And I do ground the GFCI in the panel don't I? Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2006, 03:10 PM
    You are correct in that all general purpose outlets in an unfinished basement need to be GFI. Any outlet for a refrigerator, freezer, sump pump, or any other stationary appliance does not need to be GFI.

Assuming you are using Romex cable, the bare wire needs to connect to the equipment ground bar in the panel, to the green screw on each device in the circuit, and if using metal boxes connect to each box with a machine screw.

In each box you will find a threaded hole for the machine screw. Do not wrap the bare wire around any wood or sheetmetal screw that is used to support the box. You can buy metal boxes that already have a green bonding jumper installed that you can splice onto the cable's ground wire.

I hope this answers your question, if not get back and we can go from there.
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2006, 06:27 PM
    No any outlet for an appliance such as frig, freezer , sump pump never need a GFI, esp frig and freezer. Only general purpose outlets, which means all others.

So if you can plan where large appliances will go, you can wire separate circuit there and use regular outlets.
    johnpaul Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2006, 10:42 PM
    Thanks again tkrussell, for your answers. One little follow-up qestion? Why don't you put a fridge on a gfci? Just because if it did trip, you would have some melting or is something like the motor would trip the gfci? Just wondering, thanks!
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2006, 02:19 AM
    Yes if the GFI trips, you stand to lose all the food from thawing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install new ground wire for non-grounded receptacles [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning on running grounds to my upstairs plugs that are currently K&T with the two hole groundless plugs. Question is, can I run several of the grounds into a centrally located j-box and then just run one larger ground back to the panel? I can't imagine running a separate wire for...

Basement [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there well I am trying to put a washer in my basement but the sewer line is on the other side of the house from where it will be put so I am asking how should a go about running the drain line without cutting a hole in the floor I have herd about a sump pump and a tank but was not sure if...

Wet basement wall... [ 2 Answers ]

See photo... House is 6 years old. Starting a few months ago, when we get a heavy rain, a water line will form on the basement wall (poured basement). It doesn't appear to be 'flowing' - just wet to the touch. Nothing on the floor. No cracks - just a water line. An hour after the rain...

Wet bar in basement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I want to put in a wet bar (sink) in my basement, but I don't know where to drain the sink. As I explained in a previous post. "I want to put a sink in my basement, but I dont know where to drain it. Basicaly I have three pipes in my cement floor and I don't know what they are for....

Outlets(receptacles) not grounded... what to do? [ 4 Answers ]

I embarked on a project to replace all the 15amp duplex wall receptacles in my living room yesterday because I wanted white outlets instead of the black ones that were installed. So I turned off the power and started to swap them out. They are 15amp duplex, 125-volt u-grounded receptacles. Much to...

View more questions Search