Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jspeigne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2006, 10:14 AM
    Adding a electrical sub panel
    I am about to add a attached garage with an adjoining workshop. My main pane has no open slots, my question is can I connect to the main wires coming into the panel, and go to a sub panel with a 50amp breaker. If so what size/length wire do I use?

Thanks Joel .
    Email [email protected]
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Connecting to the main incoming lines as you suggest, is allowed by code, but must follow certain restrictions, and must be mechanically sound, and unless you have good knowledge of working with this equipment and materials, best left to a hired electrician. This method is rarely used by electricans due to difficulties typical of this installation.

However, I suggest you look at your panel more closely to find a label the lists the various circuit breakers that will fit. You may find that a half size or tandem breaker is available, these are breakers that allow two breakers into one breaker slot.

The restriction here is if your existing panel already has the maximum allowed amount of 42 breakers in one panel. When confronted with this, still we don't connect to the main. We add a smaller sub panel nearby the main panel , move two breakers from the main to the sub to allow for a new 2 pole breaker to feed the sub, and add the new circuits to the subpanel.

Caution is needed,generally speaking, to be sure the main incoming service and panel can handle the added load of any new circuit.

50 Amp circuit needs #6 copper wire, but long distances may cause voltage drop. If you provide the length of the entire circuit, and an idea of types of load in amps or watts of equipment that may be used, I can give you the correct size of wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a sub panel [ 6 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement which will have a 60x20 room and a 10x9 bathroom. I'm running 20 amp breakers,12-2 wire, 20 amp outlets. 2 breakers for 20 outlets ( 10 outlets a breaker). 1 breaker for 8 2x4 flourecents. 1 breaker for GFI ( for my freazer).

Which panel should I go with? [ 5 Answers ]

Greetings all, I am need of replacing an old Pushmatic Service Panel. The only breakers I can find for it are on e-bay. Plus I need to add a sub-panel in the garage for the new addition my wife wants. (She gets a walk-in closet and a bigger master bathroom with a tub and a separate shower, I get...

Adding sub panel [ 8 Answers ]

Hi All, My current breaker panel is a Murray Arrow / Hart. It has two rows of 8 sockets each plus three that are taken up by the main 100 amp breaker. All of the positions are filled on the panel, I have even removed the old 240v line to use those two spaces for additional breakers. I have...

Question about an electrical panel [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the plannnig stage of a basement remodel. I checked the breaker box and found that I have 2 circuits currently in the basement. One is for 8 overhead lights and one is for 4 GFI outlets located around the basement. My question is, there are 5 open slots in the panel that I could use...

125 amp sub panel [ 5 Answers ]

What size wire do I need to pull for a 125 amp sub panel. Thank you

View more questions Search