Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mr Fox Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2008, 09:07 PM
    240V Breaker to 120V outlets?
    Hello there, I have an old house with an unused 240V 40amp breaker. I want to run wire from the panel to some shop equipment that only needs 120V. The breakers are pretty old so replacement of one isn't going to happen. Is there a way to only use 120 of the 240?

Your help will be appreciated.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 26, 2008, 04:57 AM
    No, not with a 40A breaker. You cannot have standard 120v receptacles on anything other than a 15 or 20 amp breaker.

About the only thing you can do it run a 40A circuit to a small sub-panel. This will give you several new spots for new circuits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

120V or 240V for heaters? [ 6 Answers ]

I apologize in advance for seeming daft :confused: , but I am still missing the 120V vs. 240V issue for small appliances such as room heaters. There seems to be an advantage of 240 V only when you may be pushing your circuit; I gather one can put twice as much wattage (e.g. heaters) on a 20A...

240v vs 120v well pump [ 1 Answers ]

Hello guys I would like to know which is better . I have a electric well pump that can either be wired 240v or 120v but I don't know which would be more efficient. Could some one please give me some advice.:confused:

Converting 240V to 120V [ 4 Answers ]

I decided to go with a gas dryer and will be removing the 240 receptacle and replace it with 120. Can I use the heavy gauge wire already in place along with the circuit breaker, which is 50 amps or change it?:confused:

120v to 240v [ 5 Answers ]

Hello! If anybody could help me with this it would be great. I'm looking at buying a festool saw from america which runs on 120v but tools and electrical equipment in austraila run on 240v. Is there anything I can do to make it work and if so is it going to be a hassle??

240V/20Amp to 2(120V/?Amp) [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 240V line with max load 20Amp. If I split each of the hot 120V leg sharing the neutral and ground to 2 individual 120V outlet/receptacle, what would the max amp load of each? Does it sill maintain 20Amp? Or reduce by 1/2? Is there a formula to this? Thanks.

View more questions Search