Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dinkeycm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Flickering light on remote controlled ceiling fan.
    I have a remote control ceiling fan/light. The light flickers and blinks only when the fan is off, but if the fan is on there is no problems. I have tried different types of bulbs and I have the same problem no matter which type I use. What causes this and how can it be fixed?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2008, 05:50 PM

I have never heard of this issue before. It is probably a loose connection in the receiver. What make is the fan?

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More
    formercanuck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2009, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair View Post
    I have never heard of this issue before. It is probably a loose connection in the receiver. What make is the fan?

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More
    I have a similar issue - Hampton Bay :rolleyes: 54" Burgess Voltera
    Ceiling fan works fine (low/med/high/off) - ligh works (on/off) - however, there is a brief flicker every few second on the 'off' setting.

This is making me wish I kept the ancient ceiling fan installed (100% variable speed - made in Italy parts and motor - the motor was ~30lbs alone).
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2009, 12:23 AM

Are you using fluorescent bulbs?

What happened to the old fan?
    formercanuck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 06:52 PM
    The old ceiling fan is in the garage in parts (1/25hp Italian full variable speed with potentiometer).

Yes - it's a circline 22w with attached balast.

I think I'll just take this one back to HD and exchange it... this thing has been nothing but grief.

The light works properly with the on (remote).
    The fan work properly (all speeds + off)
    The 'off' function leaves a brief 'flicker' once every second or 2.
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2009, 01:23 PM

If it's new, return it. Sounds like a defective receiver.

Send me pictures of the italian fan I may be interesteed in it.
    romanejones Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2010, 08:56 PM
    April 27, 2010 Please I'm pissed, because I have spent the last 3 days working on why; the ceiling fan light flickers when it is in the off position. Whoever written in about the remote causing the fluorescent bulbs to flicker when in off position was absolutely correct. I changed out the fluorescent bulb with a regular bulb and “boom there it is,” problem solved!

Use regular old fashion bulbs, it works
    romanejones Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2010, 08:56 PM
    April 27, 2010 Please I'm pissed, because I have spent the last 3 days working on why; the ceiling fan light flickers when it is in the off position. Whoever written in about the remote causing the fluorescent bulbs to flicker when in off position was absolutely correct. I changed out the fluorescent bulb with a regular bulb and “boom there it is,” problem solved!

Use regular old fashion bulbs, it works
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 10:10 PM

True story.
    jantak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2010, 05:35 PM
    That was my problem. The two florescents started blinking (after I turned off the light switch) after one of the regular ceiling bulbs burned out. Had to use the Power button to turn it off; fortunately there was one. Didn't figure out the problem until I just read the answer here. Thanks... 6/23/10
    kliwag Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2010, 02:46 PM
    Is there a remote you can use w a fluorescent light?
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2010, 10:45 AM

Some higher end manufacturers sell them.. . I am sure pretty soon they will be standard at Home Centers as this is a common issue and everyone is switching to CFL.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buzzing/Flickering Ceiling Fan/Light Fixture [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter's light/ceiling fan is making a... buzzing/popping noise with flickering whenever it is turned on. I have not allowed her to turn it on and she has been using a floor lamp for now because something doesn't sound OR look right - it really kind of scares me!! I am clueless but I am hoping...

Ceiling fan w/remote and light. Which is hot, red or black [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry, it looks like this was kind of discussed but when it comes to electrical one needs to be careful. There are four wires and the red one does not have a wire from the ceiling to the fan housing that has a red connection. However there is a black and white strip that doesn't match up to...

Ceiling Fan Remote not turning Light on [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to install the remote control to the Harbor Breeze Triton Ceiling fan. Everything is running accept with the exception of the light. There was Three wires coming from the box; White, Black, and Green. All wire connected correctly. The fan works with the remote, However, the light...

Ceiling fan w/light and remote issue! [ 2 Answers ]

My ceiling fan and light are hooked up to a remote and there is no other switch in the house that can control it. I have the same fan and light in two rooms. All of a sudden the light and fans are dimming then getting bright and constantly cahnging. Any ideas on what to do??

No instructions remote ceiling fan/light [ 2 Answers ]

I HAVE BOUGHT A tornado remote controlled ceiling fan and light from B&Q. However there are no instructions in the box and, no more on shelf and staff can not help. This may sound dumb, but do you see the receiver remote, or is it hidden, and if so where. The wires are really short so not sure how...

View more questions Search