Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aimpulsive Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 05:15 PM
    Generator Sub Panel & Grounding
    I have a Generac 17kw generator that includes a 16 circuit panel and automatic transfer switch.

My question is about the ground wires.

I know to keep the sub-panel (16 circuit General transfer switch) ground and neutral isolated.

But, the Generac transfer switch includes neutral and hot wires coming from it that I am supposed to wire into my original service panel. However, it does not include ground wires to connect to each branch circuit.

QUESTION: It is OK to keep the grounds for each circuit connected to the main panel's ground while the hot and neutral are coming from the Generac's sub-panel?

Thanks!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 2, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Yes. This is how it is done with those panels.

This should have leads for all the circuits in the transfer panel, right? You just splice inside the main panel, the circuit neutral and hot wire to the transfer panel wiring.
    aimpulsive Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2008, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    Yes. This is how it is done with those panels.

This should have leads for all the circuits in the transfer panel, right? You just splice inside the main panel, the circuit neutral and hot wire to the transfer panel wiring.
    Yes, it has a hot and a neutral for each of the 16 circuits.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Generator grounding [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a 4400/3500 watt generator for a building project. The directions say that I need to ground the generator with a suitable grounding rod and stranded No. 12 AWG wire. I have never heard of contractors grounding their generators. Are they being careless, or are my generator...

Grounding our generator [ 1 Answers ]

Do I need to ground my 2550 and 3000 watts portable generators? To be used with electrical cords leading from our refrigerator and TV, and lights?

Grounding a Generator [ 4 Answers ]

I want to ground a 5500W generator and want to know if I can ground it to the existing Home ground rod? I understand that I need a #6 copper wire, however the generator Receptacle does not accept this size of wire, it is to big. Can I use a smaller size wire? I only use the generator...

Generator grounding [ 1 Answers ]

Have a 35k generator on a fire truck. We use a grounding rod, but have been told that it is not required. Would like to know if it is required. Thanks Bill

Grounding a Panel and Meter Box [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing 200 amp electrical service in a new residence using 2/0 SE cable. The main breakers are in the panel. Since it is a GE panel, I have added grounding bars which did not come installed in the panel. The neutrals will all go to the neutral bars and the grounds to the grounding bars....

View more questions Search