Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessechenven Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2006, 04:28 AM
    Adding a heater to an existing circuit.
    I want to place a 240V electric base board heater in a room. In the adjacent room I have a conveniently placed electric wall oven by itself on a 50 Amp circuit with 8 gauge wire. The oven is only rated at 30 Amps and the heater at 4.5 amps. So, I want to run wire from the oven to where the heater is going to be (a very short distance). Running a new circuit from the heater to the box would be very long and involve a tremendous amount on drywall work, time and money (in which case I would abandon my plan for a heater).

So, here are my questions/concerns:
    I would normally run 12/2 to the heater if it were on it's own circuit, but since it is on a 50 amp breaker, should I run 8 gauge the short distance to the heater location? OR could I run 12/2 without concern?

Or, should I place an inline 20 amp breaker at the oven location and run 12/2 to the heater?

The oven has a white nuetral wire because it also runs a 120V clock, etc. but the heater is straight 240V. Can I just ignore the nuetral?

What other problems/concerns am I obviously overlooking?

Thanks for all your expert time and advice.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2006, 10:43 AM
    What you are proposing is a bit unorthodox, but, I can understand why. As long as you use a 20 amp circuit breaker or fuse at the oven, then run #12 from this breaker/fuse to the heater,the heater will be protected properly.

Since the new heater is straight 240 volt, you do not need to connect anything to the neutral at the oven.

I do suggest that you install a separate circuit for the heater in the future once you can. But otherwise this method will work and is safe.
    jessechenven Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2006, 04:54 PM
    Thanks.
    Do they sell small subpanels for one breaker?
    Thanks. Jesse
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2006, 06:34 AM
    Yes theysell 2 circuit panels , for two 1 pole circuit breakers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding Shower To Existing Garden Tub! [ 5 Answers ]

I need some advice on how to add a shower to a beautiful existing garden tub we have in our master bath. The tub came with the house we bought back in 1990. We have carpet in our bath which has become old, stained, and a bit moldy and plan on re-doing the floor. However, the tub is a bit of a...

Installing a photo cell into an existing circuit [ 5 Answers ]

I want to install a photo cell on an electrical circuit that runs to an outside light fixture. There is a black and white wire (and ground) from the house, a black and white wire in the fixture, and the photo cell has a black, white, and red wire. What is the correct wiring schematic that will...

3A Toe Heater on Microwave Circuit? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Group! Does anyone know if it is permissible to put a toe heater in the kitchen on the same 20A circuit as the microwave? The circuit only has the microwave on it. Any help greatly appreciated!:confused:

Adding a concrete extension to an existing patio [ 2 Answers ]

I need to add an extension to my patio aprox 4'x4'. It needs to be 4" thick to support my AC unit. I need to know how to do it.

Adding shower to existing lav over a slab [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to add a stall shower to an existing half bath. Over a slab... I have never done this before and considering doing it myself... I can sweat pipe and can do basic carpentry... I know I need to jackhammer the floor remove and tap into the toilet line... are there any special concerns...

View more questions Search