Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saboo4800 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 03:49 PM
    capacitor for toy motor
    hey ^-^ hmm recently I've taken apart one of my old toy cars from way back when. The main reason being that I wanted to make a sort of hand crank flashlight using the motor. The motor originally took five double A batteries, so I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that it would be able to put out about that much. The real question is, would it be possible to put a capacitor on it in order to store the electricity generated to power a few leds hmm I'm pretty sure I can figure out what kind of resistor to use, its just the capacitor I don't know about. Hmm so basically, I need to know how I would go about choosing a capacitor, how long I would need to crank in order to fill it without overloading it, and so on hmm. Well I hope this was wall coherent hmm if it wasn't my apologies, let me know what's wrong with it and I'll try to make it clearer what I need to know. Thanks in advanced.
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Jan 13, 2009, 02:40 PM

There are some 1 Fahad capacitors that will hold a reasonable amount of energy.

Capacitors are rated by voltage. If the rated voltage exceeds the applied voltage, you won't overload the capacitor. Basically, when you connect a voltage to the capacitor, the voltage at the capacitor will read very low. As it charges, the capacitor charges, the voltage rises until it reaches the applied voltage.

The biggest problem is that even a 1 Farad capacitor doesn't hold a whole lot of power. In order to determine how long it would last, you need to specify the voltage (7.5 V?) and the current that the flashlight would draw.
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Jan 26, 2009, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by saboo4800 View Post
    i need to know how i would go about choosing a capacitor, how long i would need to crank in order to fill it without overloading it, and so on hmm. well i hope this was wall coherent hmm if it wasn't my apologies, let me know whats wrong with it and i'll try to make it clearer what i need to know. Thanks in advanced.
    It's more : can your motor be used as generator (not always possible).
    As to the circuitry : I would not use a resistor, but a rectifier to charge something.
    And instead of a capacitor I would charge a small rechargeable battery bank.
    There are many LED types, some needing only 20 mA, other bright LEDs can require up to 1 Amp. You feed small LEDs via a resistor (to limit the current), and via a current regulator IC for bright LEDs.

Charging time for a capacitor of 1000 uF is 1 or 2 seconds, depending on the cranked power.
    But note : full is full in capacitor world !

As to the values :

I x t = E x C

E = supply voltage in Volts
    C = capacity in miliFarads.
    I = discharge current in mA
    t = discharge time in Seconds

If E = 7,5 V and C = 1000 uF and I = 20 mA, than t = 7,5 x 1 / 20 = 0,375 seconds

A rather short discharge time, reason for replacing the capacitor with a rechargeable battery bank, which you can load by cranking much longer for more power storage !
    saboo4800 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 02:41 PM
    Thanks very much all. I've begun making the light, and I've successfully gotten the motor to generate electricity. As for how much I cannot be certain, but enough to light four orange LEDs 20ma I believe in parallel. With a 330 resistor. Now I just need to make a crank to attach to one end of the motor for easier charging, and connect a battery pack before the leds along with a switch. Thanks again for your time, and my apologies for getting back to you two so late >< hmm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC Fan Motor, capacitor, or what? [ 9 Answers ]

I had the fan motor of my outdoor AC unit replaced about 5 years ago, it has an AO Smith mod F48K92A01 which I found online for about $65 but want to make sure it is not possibly the capacitor or something else first. I caught the unit having the fan hitting the splicer near the top, clank,...

Blower motor or capacitor? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi. Yesterday the blower motor for my central air did not initially come on when tripped by the thermostat. It did come on in a subdued fashion a few minutes later. When I turned it off after a minute or so, the motor shaft was quite hot and there was an electrical smell near the unit. The...

Motor or Capacitor? [ 2 Answers ]

How can you rule out a bad capacitor? Is the only way by ohms?

Capacitor for Blower Motor [ 2 Answers ]

My A/C fan quit working and I tried to replace the capacitor first with no results. I then purchased the blower motor but it has 4 wires instead of the 3 that my old motor had. I have a black wire, yellow, and 2 browns. My old motor had black, yellow, and 1 brown. My old motor was wired into a...

View more questions Search