Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jadrma Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 09:30 AM
    100 Amp panel vs 325 Amps worth of breakers?
    I have a house built in '49. The basement was remodeled by previous owner and the Service Panel was upgraded to 100 AMP. The wiring to the breakers are a mixture of modern sheathed 3 wire for the basement level and the original knob and tube wiring for main floor circuits (all fed via the attic). It appears the work is properly done and the wiring in the panel is neat and orderly. However, the total sum of the breakers in 325 Amps (much of this devoted to several baseboard heaters which were added to areas not served well by the original oil furnace ducting). I've heard it should not exceed 180% of the Panel Rating. Am I at risk?

Also, in examining this... I notice the stove circuit has the two hot wires going to the appropriate breaker but the 3rd wire (neutral?) is simply capped off with a wire nut inside the panel. Shouldn't this go to the grounding bar?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Adding the rating of each breaker in any panel is irrelevant. The number means absolutely nothing. If your concerned, then a service rating calculation needs to be done. This involves several varibles unique to each building.

The 180% is either a typo, or your misinformed, there is no such thing. The issue is a circuit breaker cannot be loaded more than 80% of it's rating, for loads that are continuous, operates more than 3 hours.

The range may not need a neutral, so it is capped. There should be another equipment ground wire. If there is no ground wire, then the neutral would act as the ground for the range. Need more detail on this.

Some of this will be difficult to explain, and get all the proper information from you, to answer the calculation question accurately. If there is some question in your mind if the service is large enough, I suggest you call in an electrican and have the system surveyed and ask for the calculations be done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Max Amps in a Panel and adding a sub panel for more circuits [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I recently moved into a condo with a 200 amp panel (in my unit). The main panel is in the electrical room of the building and my unit was previously a commercial retail space. I did some remodeling and my panel is now full. The total combined amps of all the circuit breakers...

Main panel and sub panel breakers [ 1 Answers ]

I inspected a sub panel fed with a number 4 copper cable. The main panel breaker was a 90 amp breaker, but the sub panel breaker was a 100 amp breaker. Is this OK?

60 Amp Panel.how many breakers? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently bought a house with an old Federal Pacific Panel in it. (Yes yes I know, major fire hazard.) I was just wondering, it is rated as a 60 amp panel, does that mean that the sum of all the breakers must be less than 60 amps, or that no one breaker can exceed 60 amps?

200 Amp Service Panel with 60 Amp Main Breakers [ 26 Answers ]

I was told when we purchased our house that it had 200 Amp service which it appears to be; however, the top of each bus bars only has 60 Amp breakers for the Main shut offs. Is this normal? Each bus bar is connected to a hot wire (one red and one black) and then the two 60 amp breakers are...

Breaker Box Amps rating & Number of breakers installed [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question in regards to amps allowed in a breaker box. My breaker box has a label stating that the box has a maximum load of 200 amps, but that it is convertible. I really don't know what the convertible part means. If I look at the breakers installed, these add way more than 200 amps. ...

View more questions Search