Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bklynjewls Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Wiring new fixture, red,black and white wires
    From switch many white wires,wire nutted together, black to switch, red to switch.

From ceiling, whites nut together black nut together ,red nut together.one black wire

Hanging down from previous light fixture, one red, and one white. Which wires do I use for

Fixutre which has one white wire and one black wire?:eek:
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 09:18 AM

It's possible that the wiring is there for a fan- one hot (red) for the light and one hot (black) for the speed and you neutral. I couldn't say for sure but that's what we had going on in our bedroom. Since we only installed a light the electrician used the red wire to connect to the black wire on the fixture and capped off the black wire, and then white to white. I'm not saying this is in fact the case but that's what I found in our ceiling
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 09:58 AM

Did you get everything figured out then?

Oct 10, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Not yet going to try, not sure about white wire?
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 10:25 AM

Connect the white wire to the white wire on the fixture. You are talking about the white wire coming out of the ceiling right?

Oct 10, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeMarie View Post
    it's possible that the wiring is there for a fan- one hot (red) for the light and one hot (black) for the speed and you neutral. I couldn't say for sure but that's what we had going on in our bedroom. since we only installed a light the electrician used the red wire to connect to the black wire on the fixture and capped off the black wire, and then white to white. I'm not saying this is in fact the case but that's what I found in our ceiling
    :) You got it it works, thank you so much!!

Oct 10, 2008, 10:59 AM
    Thank you you got it right on the head. Thank You so Much 2days of torture gone. Thank u!! :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 11:06 AM

You're very welcome! Glad I could help. :)
    Ricthestic Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2013, 06:15 AM
    I have a double switch that I am replacing with a new switch. There are three wires coming out of the box, red, white and black. The double switch is 2 brass, 2black and the ground. How do I hook this up? Thanks
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2013, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricthestic View Post
    I have a double switch that i am replacing with a new switch. There are three wires coming out of the box, red, white and black. The double switch is 2 brass, 2black and the ground. How do i hook this up? Thanks
    That is a 4 way switch and you need a 3 way. Then just follow the colors and
    Hook it up the same way as the old switch. There are many different ways to wire 3 ways so you need to match the old. .

Apr 16, 2013, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    That is a 4 way switch and you need a 3 way. Then just follow the colors and
    Hook it up the same way as the old switch. There are many different ways to wire 3 ways so you need to match the old. .
    The old one had a jumper cable white to white
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 16, 2013, 07:57 AM
    I have a double switch that I am replacing
    Hey Brian, bet that's a 2 in 1 switch, two switches on a single yoke.

Maybe Ricthestic could tell what the switch does.

Apr 16, 2013, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Hey Brian, bet that's a 2 in 1 switch, two switches on a single yoke.

Maybe Ricthestic could tell what the switch does.
    One switch is for one ceiling light and the other is for another light.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 16, 2013, 11:00 AM
    Connect the white wire to one side and the black and the red to the other.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2013, 02:19 PM
    Yeh, probably misread that "double" another problem of adding to a post that has no connection to the question asked. Sorry.

Apr 17, 2013, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Yeh, probably misread that "double" another problem of adding to a post that has no connection to the question asked. Sorry.
    Thanks everyone

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing light fixture- wires ( red, black and white?) [ 24 Answers ]

Just changed light fixture. When I put the power back on the light worked but the switch on the wall will not shut the light off. In the ceiling there was 3 wires. One black,one white and one red. The fixture that I put up has only black, white and ground. So I attached the black to black,...

Wires red black and white [ 14 Answers ]

I took off the dryer receptical to wire a 250V. 20A electrical receptecal. There are a black white and red. Do I assume the red is green because it's the only wire that doesn't match the directions. Red seems hot though no.

Replacing a ceiling fan with fixture that only has black & white wires [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing a ceiling fan and there is a red, black and white wire in the ceiling box. It appears the switch is connected to the black (top connection) & red (bottom connection) on the light switch. The ceiling fixture only has a black & white wires. When I connect black to black and white...

Black & White wires together? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, about to wire up new recessed lights. After removing the old fluoresent light and inspecting the junction box to which it was wired I've come to a stand still. There are four 14/2 cables entering this box. Two are for recepticles, one for a hood and the other the power for the light. All...

Blue, Black and White wires in celing fan [ 2 Answers ]

I removed a ceiling fan to replace a switch but did not note the wires. Now I want to replace the fan but find it has Blue, Black and White wires, whereas the wires coming from the ceiling are only White and Black. It also has a green wire attached to the casing. Does the blue and black wire...

View more questions Search