Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    7up Posts: 180, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2008, 09:14 AM
    Outdoor outlets
    I'm adding a workbench with outlets outside and would like to know if the plan I've come up with would work.I will be starting from the breaker box with two 20amp breakers.
    The first 20amp breaker will be hardwired to my air compressor onlly

The second 20amp breaker would wire into a ( GFIC )then into the first four plug outlet then would wire into the second four plug outlet also adding a overhead fluorescent light

So if anyone can let me know if this would work also what size wire I would need to run this would much help thank you.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Oct 3, 2008, 01:40 PM

If 20amps will handle the load, then it sounds good to me.

You say outside: If the receptacles are going to be outside, then you will need to install the appropriate weatherproof covers, and in some areas weather resistant receptacles.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2008, 01:52 PM

If this is a garage type area, it always makes sense to put the lighting on a separate circuit, so if a power tool dies, you still have lights which could prevent an injury.

Oct 3, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    If this is a garage type area, it always makes sense to put the lighting on a separate circuit, so if a power tool dies, you still have lights which could prevent an injury.
    Good point! I agree!
    hedlok Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Oct 4, 2008, 01:00 PM
    AWG # 12 is the size you'd use for 20 A. if you are running this on the outside remember that the wiring method must be suitable for the use. Romex cannot be used if exposed to physical damage, weather and sun... UF is OK but hard to work with... PVC conduit is my favorite for running on the outside... be sure to use THHN or THWN #12 stranded wire if you're using conduit.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2008, 01:19 PM
    THHN cannot be used, because underground is considered a wet location.

Oct 4, 2008, 01:59 PM
    He never says he's going underground... I gave the choice of THHN and THWN in case his local supplier has only one or the other... please do not try to correct people unless you have the facts straight... your pomposity shows... believe me, KISS I am as qualified as you are to give advice on this subject.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 4, 2008, 02:20 PM
    hedlok, chill out. I hardly think KISS was being pompous. He just made a simple mistake, that's all.

This is all a moot point any way. When was the last time any of you saw #12 like this rated just THHN?? Everything these days is dual rated THHN/THWN.

Oct 4, 2008, 02:30 PM

'kay... sorry, bro

Oct 6, 2008, 01:07 PM

hedlok said: PVC conduit is my favorite for running on the outside... be sure to use THHN or THWN #12 stranded wire if you're using conduit.
    Sorry hedlok, but I believe Keep read you correctly. Maybe you just wrote it wrong--it happens!

Yet, what you wrote above is clearlying saying that the OP can run Thhn in conduit outside.

Oct 6, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Okay where did the questioner say he was running underground? Thhn is acceptable in conduit run outside. Only when it goes underground does the wet location kick in. he is running the pipe in his garage, no?

Oct 6, 2008, 03:54 PM

You said outside??

Here you go:
    THHN — Indicates a single conductor having flame-retardant and heat-resistant thermoplastic insulation with a jacket of extruded nylon or equivalent material. The wire is rated 90ºC dry only.

THW — Indicates a single conductor having flame-retardant, moisture- and heat-resistant thermoplastic insulation. The wire is rated 75ºC wet or dry.

THW-2 — Same as THW except that the wire is rated 90ºC wet or dry.

THHW — Indicates a single conductor having flame-retardant, moisture- and heat-resistant thermoplastic insulation. The wire is rated 90ºC dry and 75ºC wet.

THWN — Indicates a single conductor having flame-retardant, moisture- and heat-resistant thermoplastic insulation with a jacket of extruded nylon or equivalent material. The wire is rated 75ºC wet or dry. THWN wire suitable for exposure to mineral oil and to liquid gasoline and gasoline vapors at ordinary ambient temperature is marked "Gasoline and Oil Resistant I" if suitable for exposure to mineral oil at 60ºC, or "Gasoline and Oil Resistant II" if the compound is suitable for exposure to mineral oil at 75ºC. Gasoline resistant wire has been tested at 23ºC when immersed in gasoline. It is considered inherently resistant to gasoline vapors within the limits of the temperature rating.

Oct 6, 2008, 04:48 PM

I still don't get what the problem is running thhn in conduit above ground and outside... if the pvc is installed per mfrs instructions... glued and all boxes sealed... it is a dry location. Only when you go underground is there a wet location.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New outlets [ 6 Answers ]

How many outlets per new circuit?

Female outdoor cat not accepting new male outdoor cat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old spayed female cat that has always lived in our garage and is very spoiled. We live out in the country. A male cat about two years old that is very sweet also showed up and is now neutered. He is not dominate to the female and wants to live in the garage also. They each have...

20 Amp Outlets [ 3 Answers ]

I am finishing off a basement. I ran 20 amp 12-2 wire with ground for the outlets and 15 amp 14-2 wire with ground for lights. 1) Can I use 15 amp outlets for the 20 amp outlet run? Or does that overload the outlet? 2) What is the functional difference between 15 amp and 20 amp outlets? 3)...

Outdoor Electrical Recptical Box and Outlets [ 4 Answers ]

I'm currently constructing a new garage and I'm at the phase where the framing is complete. The stucco will be going on soon but before that I would like to have all the exterior electrical receptacles, switches and lights installed. My question is, are there specific electrical boxes that...

Outdoor outlets not working. HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Here's my dilemma: I have 3 ooutdoor outlets along the back of my property. As far as I know all have worked up until this morning. There was a terrible storm yesterday where flooding, high wind and long periods of down pours were present; now none of the electrical outlets are working. I...

View more questions Search