Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anapage Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Wiring new motor, capacitor
    Someone please help! 99 degrees outside.
    Bought new a.c. fan motor and capacitor.
    New motor has 2 brown wires, 1 black, 1 white and 1 green ground. Both brown attached to new capacitor. Where do black and white wires go? Old contacter has one red wire and one open outlet. Where does the red go? What goes in the open outlet? Old compressor has one yellow wire. Where does that go?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 11, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Hello anapage

new motor has 2 brown wires, 1 black, 1 white and 1 green ground.
    Normal motor wiring :

The capacitor goes between the two hot motor wires, one of which is connected to the hot power line. The other capacitor-motor connection is not wired (unless the motor has to run in different directions : rewiring the hot power line to the other side of the capacitor results in the motor turning into the opposite direction.
    The white motor wire is the neutral wire and is connected to the neutral power line.
    The green motor wire is the earth wire and is connected to the nearest earth point.

Advice : contact the motor supplier to confirm the proper motor wiring :
    Browns are capacitor only
    Black is hot
    White is neutral
    Green is earth

Suggested motor wiring for your case :

The capacitor is connected to both brown wires.
    The hot power line (the red * contacter wire) goes to the black motor wire.
    The neutral wire (yellow **) is connected to the white motor wire.
    The green motor wire is the earth wire and is connected to the nearest earth point.

Do you have a simple cheap multimeter, so can you do some tests?
    **Check first to make sure if the red wire is the hot wire.
    **Check also the yellow wire to make sure it is the neutral wire.

Just post here your findings and contact me by private mail (click on my handle and follow instructions) and I will return here to reply and advice further.

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC Fan Motor, capacitor, or what? [ 9 Answers ]

I had the fan motor of my outdoor AC unit replaced about 5 years ago, it has an AO Smith mod F48K92A01 which I found online for about $65 but want to make sure it is not possibly the capacitor or something else first. I caught the unit having the fan hitting the splicer near the top, clank,...

Blower motor or capacitor? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi. Yesterday the blower motor for my central air did not initially come on when tripped by the thermostat. It did come on in a subdued fashion a few minutes later. When I turned it off after a minute or so, the motor shaft was quite hot and there was an electrical smell near the unit. The...

Correct capacitor and motor wiring [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I installed a new emerson condenser fan motor on a lennox unit and for you guys with a johnstone catalog it was the s88-502 and called for the g21-933 capacitor which is a 7.5 370 volt. They didn't have that capacitor in stock and gave me the g32-480 which is 50.0/7.5 440 volt. Is this OK? Is...

Motor or Capacitor? [ 2 Answers ]

How can you rule out a bad capacitor? Is the only way by ohms?

View more questions Search