Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dan253 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 12:01 PM
    How do I wire a 3 speed switch in my celing fan?
    The pull chain came out of my celing fan switch and I need to replace it. I purchased the switch and it has connections for 4 wires labeled 1,2,3 & L. I mistakenly rempved the old switch before checking the wireing and am having trouble getting the new one wired right.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 12:38 PM
    What model fan do you have and what colored wires are you dealing with?

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More

Jul 7, 2008, 12:47 PM
    I am not sure of the make or model, I can't find anyplace on it that says. I believe it is a "Lexington". And the wires going to the switch are colored Black, Grey, Brown and Purple.
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Try:

L - Black, 1 - Grey, 2 - Brown, 3 - Purple

Jul 7, 2008, 06:51 PM
    That still didn't work, I must have some other problems. I'm sure I have the right switch and wired it right. Thanks for the help anyway.. :mad:
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 10:46 PM
    Check the reverse switch, make sure it is properly seated.

See:

General ceiling fan troubleshooting and help FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

Jul 10, 2008, 10:19 AM
    I tried the reverse switch and that still didn't work. Is there anyway I can bypass the three speed all togather and check out the motor. My hot wires coming in are red and the grey from the reverse switch, The wires on the capasitor are red, brown & purple,
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 09:55 PM
    Not really.

What caused you to open the fan up in the first place?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3-speed fan control switch wire connection [ 23 Answers ]

Inside housing case are two boxes. One box has #1,2,3,and letter L. The other box has 1 red wire glued in silicone. There are two cords running into housing case. A gray cord coming from fan's motor with 5 wires: White,yellow,blue,gray,green w/white stripe. A black cord (two prong plug) with...

Replacing a 3-wire, 2-speed switch [ 4 Answers ]

The fan in the fume hood above my stove is broken. I believe it's the switch so I need to replace it. The whole kitchen is over 35 years old, though and the fan is a dynavent. I believe the switch is soldered and don't know how to undo it to see the wiring of the switch. The switch is a...

Trying to wire a 3 speed, 4 wire ceiling fan switch [ 7 Answers ]

I am trying to wire a 3 speed 4 wire ceiling fan switch for an Aloha Breeze 52" ceiling fan. The original fan switch fell apart when I tried to see how it was connected. I have to connect black (hot wire), grey, orange and purple wires to the switch (L,1,2,3). The orange and purple wires come...

Ceilin fan speed switch with 8 wire connections [ 3 Answers ]

How to connect a fan switch with 8 feed-in correctly if previous owner had wired incorrectly? I could not find any information that could help me so far. I have been experimenting with the wires but I am afraid I might hurt the box with 5 wires that is obviously important.:confused:

3 wire celing fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have just bought a 3 wire celing fan switch and I can't figure out how to wire it. It is a 3 speed fan and it has what appears to be a transformer with blue and black wires going from the old switch to the transformer. One black wire is coming out of the transformer to the plug. The new switch...

View more questions Search