Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoitra007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2006, 05:55 PM
    Standard Deductions
    Hi
    I have a question and wondering if anybody could answer this. I am an Indian National and was holding an F-1 Visa from August 2002 through August 2005. My Visa status got changed on September 15, 2005 to H-1B. So my starting date is September 15, 2005. Can anybody tell me what form should I file for Tax purposes and whether I could claim any standard deductions.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2006, 11:11 PM
    You should file as a non-resident alien, filing Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

Since you are an Indian national, you can claim a $5,000 standard deduction as well as a $3,200 personal exemption.
    smoitra007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2006, 11:06 AM
    Thank you very much
    I really appreciate your quick reply. I was so stressed out regarding this that it was virtually unstoppable for me to think about it over and over again. Thanks again for the response.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 19, 2006, 09:46 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Standard of care vs standard of practice [ 3 Answers ]

In terms of medicine, what is the difference between the standard of care and the standard of practice?

Education Deductions [ 4 Answers ]

Can a person claim the education credits for the fees paid to a truck driving school?

Standard deductions [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I was working on F1 visa (OPT) from Jan 1, 2005 till Nov 30, 2005. My H1 started from 1st Dec 2005. I am using 1040NR-EZ for filing my taxes. Am I right? Or do I have to use both 1040 and 1040 NR? Also I am a bit confused about my deductions. Can I claim standard deductions, as I was on...

OPT-H1 standard deductions? [ 3 Answers ]

First off, great Job! This forum is very useful to people like me. I have read the messages posted here since last year and it seems to me that I fall as a resident alien for this year (05) tax purposes as I passed the substantial presence test. Sorry to post the same question again but I just need...

Deductions on funeral [ 4 Answers ]

Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't want to sound money concerned. My father passed away, I paid for the majority of his funeral expences, is there any deductions for paying for a funeral. I have never heard of it, but just wondering.

View more questions Search